new retics not eating yet. 2 days

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
well it seems so far i have my tank under control. ammo reading are close to 0 and been doing 30% daily water changes sinve i received them wendseday. i bought them from tangled up in cichlids and he said they were eating frozen krill and frozen blackworms. i had some krill in the freezer so i cut some and dropped it in last night. all they did was lie under the sand. i tried to use some tongs and dangle them in front of them and they swam away. they are starting to look thin and the male doesnt move much. they may just need to get used to the tank. all the krill i added was still in the tank this morning . im going to get some earthworms today and try that.

is it normal for them to bury themselves in the sand for long periods of time?

how long can they go without eating?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
im going to get a dozen ghost shrimp and add them in. see if that will work. i hate to go live but worth a shot.

Jerster77

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Cheyenne, WY
Keep up with the water changes. The last Ray I added to my tank did not eat for a week. Try worms rays can hardly turn them down. Just give them some time to get used to their new home. Good luck

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
the only choice i have for worms are earthworms. i have to special order blackworms. u dont think the ghost shrimp idea is good?

i left the uneaten krill in the tank from last night. if they dont eat it i should take it out tonight?

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Anything non-live should be taken out within 24 hours or less. Ghost shrimp is fine, the important thing at first is getting them to eat *something* - being picky about *what* they're eating can wait for another day.

Keep lighting to a minimum - drape blankets over the tank if necessary - and tongs doubtless scared them.

Remember, these fish came from the wild, most of what they ate would've been live and nobody would've been there dangling tongs in their face. Getting them onto frozen or prepared food and taking food from tongs will require plenty of patience. Earthworm is definitely a good option and if they take to it you can start fattening them up on that before trying to move them to other foods.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
the only lights that are on are the dim nightlights.i could turn them off to. i will get some earthworms and ghost shrimp. i agree with u. that i just want them eat something.

another thing i noticed and may not be a problem. i have 3 hydor ario4's for o2 and dim lighting. i have them suction cup mounted to the top glass cross braces. they tend to make a little noise and slight vibration. could that bother them? i hate to get rid of them.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Not talking from experience - because I don't run air on any of my tanks - but thinking logically it might be reasonable to conclude that anything 'unnatural' *could* upset them in the short term. Turning them off in the short term and back on when the rays have adjusted to their surroundings might not be a bad idea.

Just my thoughts, wouldn't be surprised if others jump in and say "no, 100% not an issue" but I don't think anyone can know what's going on in the minds of these fish to know for sure what may or may not upset them.

Akabir47

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Home of the brave.
Try blood worms as well...

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Ammonia should be zero. It may take a few days for the rays to settle in. I bought a retic recently that took a week to eat.
Remove the krill imediately. If they don't eat it within a few minutes, take it out. Make sure the pieces are really small too. This applies as well to worms and other foods.
You may want to order the blackworms soon to get them delivered early next week.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
spotfin;3836923; said:
Ammonia should be zero. It may take a few days for the rays to settle in. I bought a retic recently that took a week to eat.
Remove the krill imediately. If they don't eat it within a few minutes, take it out. Make sure the pieces are really small too. This applies as well to worms and other foods.
You may want to order the blackworms soon to get them delivered early next week.

the tank is still cycling. thats why ive been doing daily water changes and adding prime and stability. i removed the krill. i tried to set a small trout worm in front of them the female swam over it but no attempt to eat yet. i may have to cut them smaller. it was a few inches long. im tring to keep ammo as low as i can to 0 . shoulnt be long until its cycled.

id order blackworm but i dont have an extra fridge that is inside the house to keep them in.in the fridge outside they will most likely freeze. i doubt my wife will enjoy them in the good one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store