firemouth cichlid

Jkessler623

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Ohio
im thinking about getting a pair for my 30g which is currently cycling.the tank right now has 3 zebra danios, a leapord danio,a pleco and a bamboo shrimp.do you think this would be a good match for my setup?

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
yes. should be good. but if they start fighting each other, you may have to get another or get rid of one. but with a firemouth should be able to get along with any other same type cichlid.

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
I have one firemouth who is fine 90% of the time, when my other fish try to bully him he has no problem defending himself! Thinking of getting 2 more!

Jkessler623

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Ohio
id like to get a pair to potentially have them spawn...anyway to tell males and females apart easily?

DemonShark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Best way to get a pair is to buy a half dozen and pick the pair out when it forms. Thats not really an option for you though.

Males have longer fins and brighter coloration, females appear more stout, with less coloration and no fin extentions. But sometimes you have a firemouth that you are 120% sure is male, until you see it laying eggs one day. So there are no sure ways to tell male from female, just educated guesses lol.

And if you get two males there might be a slight agression problem, just make sure they each have places to hide and all that. Divide up their territory.

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
As far as the danios, I only have dempseys, aros, and yellow labs so I wouldn't know what the firemouths attitude would be towards them. And as for sexing I am not sure either!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store