Most graceful, active, easy care FW fish?

SeanCJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Kansas
Hello all.
I may have a 525 gallon tank coming in the next few weeks and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. The tank is 120 inches long, 24 inches deep, and 42 inches tall.
I want to set up an elegant display tank that will be relaxing and great eye candy, but also low maintenance. Was considering a super huge school of tetras, but now I'm leaning towards larger species.
I like the shape and graceful swimming of koi, but understand they really should be kept in large ponds. Anything else similar in body shape and color that will work?
I'm not really into the other large aggressive freshwater fish, and discus just aren't active enough but I do love their colors.
Maybe a large colony of platinum or Pinnoy angels?
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks all!

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
Man I'm jealous. You're going to get a lot of different answers in this thread but I would suggest some CA/SA cichlids. A couple Oscars, Green Terror, Convict, etc... MAN that would be a good looking tank!

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Abut load of tetra's cardinal tetras

DemonShark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Niagara, Ontario, Canada
If you don't want larger, agressive fish how about something like a big school of rainbowfish, maybe boesemani or praecox.

Or maybe something along the lines of geophagus, you've got a lot of different ones to chose from and they're generally less agressive than most of their SA cichlids their size.

SeanCJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Kansas
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not too interested in the cichlids or oscars. I'm looking for slow moving but active fish with longer bodies, lots of long flowing finage. Preferably lighter in coloration. Thought about arowanas but they get a bit too big.
Still considering a huge school of cardinals or neon blue tetras but was hoping there was something out there I missed.
Rainbows are also a consideration.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
U cld do some in a 525 easily

DemonShark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Niagara, Ontario, Canada
SeanCJ;3837053; said:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not too interested in the cichlids or oscars. I'm looking for slow moving but active fish with longer bodies, lots of long flowing finage. Preferably lighter in coloration. Thought about arowanas but they get a bit too big.
Still considering a huge school of cardinals or neon blue tetras but was hoping there was something out there I missed.
Rainbows are also a consideration.
Ya, the geophagus would fit that bill. Much more peaceful than other cichilds, flowing fins and not particularily fast moving or territorial.

Or maybe a BGK or clown knifefish? Or a couple of them with that size tank.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
silver dollars, ballas, tinfoils... All are larger schooling fish. Toss in a dozen or so pictus cats to cruise the lower levels. Maybe a giant gourami as a centerpiece.

Or

You like koi, so why not try some of the goldfish varities. Not the deformed golf balls, the more natural shapes like comets and shuibukins (sp). I can't believe I'm even suggesting goldfish, but they seem to fit the bill for what you are looking for. Colorful, large, and peacefully active.

SeaweedPimp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
Southeast USA
Smallmouth bass look nice at about 2 inches long, after feeding them color enhancing flakes they look like slices of electric lime swimming around under a good flouro light.

They are ready to eat anytime ( or maybe they are starving from flakes) I dunno!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If you want color and schooling behaviour, rainbowfish are the way to go. Lots of variety, very flashy, and of course they school.

Congo tetras, chalceus, hemiodus, flagtail prochilodus, silver dollars, distichodus, leporinus, and some of the larger barbs are all good choices for what you're looking for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store