Florida Gars (pics)

PredatorKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here is my 4 Florida Gars, one is 11", one is 9" and the babies are 3-4", just painted the sides and back of their tank True Blue and I really like it, normally I am very reserved on painting tanks, but I've had this tank forever and will eventually use it to breed both crayfish and covict cichlids.

Also going to start buying all the materials to build 2, 240 gallon plywood tanks for them, going to put 2 in each tank and then eventually if I have the space for it will combine them into one tank that is 700+ gallons or just build them a nice sized pond in the basement. I'll make a journal of this operation once it begins, plan on having them constructed within the next few months hopefully if I get some extra free time...

Right now they are being fed minnows, guppies, some goldfish that I had raised, crab meat, raw shrimp, and crayfish.

101_0544.jpg

101_0542.jpg

PredatorKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
xander;3838004; said:
nice looking florida gar enclosure;)
thanks, I added some dwarf hair grass to the bottom as well, eventually I am going to try and cover 3/4 of the bottom of my 240 gallon tanks with this stuff. Does anyone know any other type of plants that work well with gars?

PredatorKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Gerry Wojo;3838130; said:
I like the Blue color..How did you apply it? was there water in the tank?
Krylon Spray Paint
Color: True Blue
Application: Indoors, suggest you do it outdoors especially if you have any kids running around your house or other small animals. The wind chill was -10 yesterday so I wasn't going to do it outdoors in that weather, just opened up all the windows, set up some fans, and went to it.
Drying time: extremely fast, within 10 minutes

I also left the fish in there, but I made sure that I completely covered the top of the tank with 3 layers of towels and cut off and removed all the filters to ensure no vapors got sucked into the water.

Thanks for the compliment on the gars!

Nighteon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2009
Coahuila, Mexico
nice gars, are a good tank too

exiton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
Sweden
really nice gars!:popcorn:
Here is a picture of mine the smallest one is about 6 inches and the biggest 9!
Hope you dont mind my upload:)

DSC_2618.JPG

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
exiton;3879062; said:
really nice gars!:popcorn:
Here is a picture of mine the smallest one is about 6 inches and the biggest 9!
Hope you dont mind my upload:)
Awesome driftwood in there!

And to the OP, nice gars and tank as well!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store