considering getting a ray

ryverrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
SE PA
I am considering getting into freshwater sting rays. Currently I keep puffers (FW and SW) will little problems (other than my husband over the food and water bills). Since they are scaleless fish intolerant of poor water conditions like rays, I can’t see it being too great of a challenge keeping a ray. My plans so far are:
1000 G indoor pond (8ft X 6ft X 3ft)
3 canister filters min. with 1500 GPH output (looking for 3000GPH)
Smooth sand substrate (looking for silica free)
Rounded rocks for hiding places and décor (up %5 of bottom area)
Floating plants for cover and nitrate removal
I already have plenty of meaty foods (frozen and I raise shrimp, snails and mollies for live food)
I am looking for any suggestions that will help – like what species is best for first ray?
I understand that keeping a ray is not something to be entered lightly. I have read the stickies and other info but still looking for more.
Any help will be appreciated

dragonfish18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Dat Land
MOTOROS!!
mybe a sump box with 2 powerfull pumps will give you 3000gph and it might be cheaper than 3 canisters

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Looks like you've done your homework and have a nice size 'tank' in mind so you're probably way ahead of many first-time ray owners. I don't think many would argue against Motoro being the easiest first ray, and CB will make life easier still - and you'll at least have proper space for Motoro, which again puts you way ahead of most ray noobs.

I think you'll only have two problems: where to put the next pond for the next rays - and how to get rid of the husband without the authorities getting suspicious. Gotta chuckle, usually the posts all say "my wife says no".

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
Most ray species are good for beginners, as long as they are healthy and eating. But I would suggest the Motoro as well

ryverrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
SE PA
Thanks- still working on the husband- he left me get another puffer today. So if I plan it right I can see me getting a ray. One thing worries me- I am allergic to bee stings and don't want to find out if I will have a reaction to a ray sting.. What is the thoughts about trimming the barb to help prevent stings?

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
ryverrat;3841233; said:
Thanks- still working on the husband- he left me get another puffer today. So if I plan it right I can see me getting a ray. One thing worries me- I am allergic to bee stings and don't want to find out if I will have a reaction to a ray sting.. What is the thoughts about trimming the barb to help prevent stings?
My suggestion to you then is to, be very careful, don't handfeed (as cool as it may be), and be aware. that will prevent any sting. and use tongs if you have to go into the tank for anything. i.e., eliminating any chance that your hand would be in the tank if the ray were to strike out.

trimming the rays barbs will be painful for the ray, and also very stressful, and dont leave the stinger tubing on, itll be painful for the ray as well, but you can remove it from the ray in a careful manner, one of my ray books outlines how to do it properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store