Driftwood and the Law

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I'm going up to a lake tommorrow in the blistering cold and look for some driftwood for my 150 gallon. I was wondering if you guys knew if it is illegal to take driftwood from the lake. I know it is to take sand but didnt know about driftwood. If so I'll have to go in stealth mode if it is.

Thanks

Fishermoe14

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Minnesota
lol idk but i grabbed a very large piece over here in mn and the cop that was there didnt say anything... the piece is prob 2x3x3

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Id be more on the look out for park rangers then the cops I'm hoping since its so cold out there won't be many around.

ravio11i

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Raleigh NC
I've collected most of my driftwood...cant say whether or not it's legal in Ohio, in any case and I'm sure you know this...make sure you boil, or lightly bleach and rinse the hell out of it.
Rav

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I'm going to be soaking whatever I get in a tub in the basement for about a month until I'm ready for it. What exaclty is the difference between bogwood and driftwood. When I go tommorrow I'm just going to grab what ever looks good.

mdb_talon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
ofallon, mo
There is no way to answer because regulations differ quite a bit by where you are. In missouri I know the rules are different by state/federal park, but in general I was told by the park ranger at a state park that as long as you are not taking large amounts(ie loading a truck with firewood) that they dont really care.

mdb_talon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
ofallon, mo
erk419;3838617; said:
I'm going to be soaking whatever I get in a tub in the basement for about a month until I'm ready for it. What exaclty is the difference between bogwood and driftwood. When I go tommorrow I'm just going to grab what ever looks good.
Difference is mostly age :)

Technically bogwood would come from a peat bog where it is preserved by the acidic peat bog. True bogwood is going to be many hundreds or thousands of years old and very expensive to purchase and in most locations not reasonable to find.

Sometimes the terms driftwood and bogwood are used interchangeably.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Oh I see thanks! I'm just going to grab what ever looks good be it bog or drift. When I add it to my tank I'll keep an eye on the ph because I know bogwood can lower ph

GermanRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
East Texas
No I Don't:grinno:jackal switch:screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store