Fish tanks in earthquake zones

therevolution

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
maryland
Was just wondering if any mfkers on the west coast or anywhere earthquakes are common have experienced quakes while keeping fish... How'd it work out?

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
I've had a couple small ones, sometimes the water splashes around, but hopefully nothing happens :(

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
I was thinking the same thing. I live in tahoe we had a tiny one since I moved here. I have a friend that lives in humbult they just got a good quake. He wants a fish tank but is a bit freaked out.

I have heard of people making a frame around the tank and attached it to the wall.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
When I lived in SD, I had a neighbor that worked for the US Geological Service. He did an assessment of my home (tanks and furniture) compared to the direction of the local fault lines and calculated directions of tremors if and when they occur. He told me how to reinforce/anchor my tall furniture, aquarium stands, etc. He suggested that I caddy-corner my 90 show tank so tremors wouldn't rock the tank over. I didn't get to it before a tremor (after the Northgate quake) nearly tipped the tank over. My roommate saw the tank rocking and held it until the tremor passed. We made quick work of draining and turning the tank 45 degrees, bracing the stand legs to the floor slab, and adding metal brackets from the top of the stand to the wall studs.
I've since always had a survey done at any new address in CA. I'd recommend doing so. If it's not affordable, at the very least, brace all tank stands to make them safer in the event of a quake. Bracing all tall furniture (book cases, china cabinets, large TV stands, display cabinets, etc.) would also make good sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store