can rays be kept with discus?

carolines100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
leeds
Yes they can but some rays may take a interest in eating dicus and could be expensive food for your rays. A lot of members have rays and discus together tho
As for type all can work just depends on the ray itself

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
West Sussex, United Kingdom
I think the best idea would be mix the two fish when the stingray's are young and the discus are around the 5" mark. The logic behind this is that the stingray's won't see them as food in the future when they're larger as they've grown up with them.

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I currently keep discus and rays together, they are scobina rays and i have 5 discus in there with them. the temp is 86F and no one seems bothered although i think i'm going to drop the temp to 84 soon just for lower metabolism (i'm sick of looking at poop lol)

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
I keep my ray tank at 85 an no problems, just make sure your discus are big enough not to be eaten, start with a small ray. IMO you would be fine with a motoro pup for quite a long time, however they do get LARGE my female is 22" without tail

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
I keep hystrix rays with discus with no problem. Tank temp is around 84. I've also kept motoros with discus in the past. One big happy family.

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
mareshow;3844930; said:
I currently keep discus and rays together, they are scobina rays and i have 5 discus in there with them. the temp is 86F and no one seems bothered although i think i'm going to drop the temp to 84 soon just for lower metabolism (i'm sick of looking at poop lol)
what ray size did you buy when you intro'd with what size discus?

also how much did you pay for your rays?

thks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store