30g overstocked?

tears2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
York, PA
Sorry to repost the same thread, but I think I posted it in the wrong place before.

I currently have a 30g tank setup and stocked with mainly juvenile cichlids. We'll be moving soon and have an empty 55g tank I was considering transferring them to when we move. I figured the extra tank space could mean another fish or two. Yet while reading the profile here of my acaronia nassa pair, I'm now concerned that I may have misjudged my stock. I didn't realize the Acaronia Nassa got that big... Is my 30g overstocked and I'll actually need to move them to the 55g? If I do move them to the 55g is it full then?

Here's my stock:
1x Angelfish
2x Acaronia Nassa (Bigeye or Basketmouth Cichlids)
2x Blue Rams
2x Kribensis
5x Zebra Danios
3x Hillstream Loaches
3x Panda Corys

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
You look like you are pretty well stocked...I am not sure what Acaronia Nassa are but other than that your tank looks good to me....and please dont add convicts, they will kill everything

tears2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
York, PA
ok, yea I'm not going to try convicts. I had a firemouth in there a little while ago and he wouldn't leave the rams alone at all, so i had to return him. Convicts are supposed to be more aggressive from what i hear...

I thought this tank was pretty well stocked too, but the profile on one of the forums here says the acaronia nassa can reach 10 inches. I can't find any info anywhere else online that says they get any bigger than 5 inches in captivity though. If I end up transferring to the 55g, I think I may consider adding a festivum or buffalo head or something... Thanks for input

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
hopefully the advice to "add convicts" was a joke, because it would be a terrible idea . . . a pair of convicts would do fine in a 30G, but not in combination with all the fish you already have

here are my thoughts:

1x Angelfish - for a while, but 30G is small for adult angelfish; also, IMO they do better in small groups
2x Acaronia Nassa (Bigeye or Basketmouth Cichlids) - nice fish, from what I've read they get to about 6" . . . might be OK in 30G, but not with the Rams & Kribs
2x Blue Rams - these will be fine in 30G
2x Kribensis - these will be fine in 30G
5x Zebra Danios - fine
3x Hillstream Loaches - fine
3x Panda Corys - fine

I'd say you're fine to keep the danios, loaches and corys . . . but I think you could only keep either the pair of Nassas or the Rams & Kribs . . .

I wouldn't initially have thought of it, but if your Rams and Kribs are getting along, that would make for an interesting tank

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
sorry, looks like I mis-read your question . . . I answered your "is my 30G overstocked" question only . . .

I think if you moved your current stock to the 55G it would work fine . . . still wouldn't add more though, and certainly not a pair of convicts . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store