what fish live with hippos?

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
LOL So i was watching dirty jobs and they were doing a thing on hippos. When the hippos got into the water, they were swimmin with fish that looked like african cichlids? I know hippos are from africa so do they live with africans?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tstove15;3839394; said:
LOL So i was watching dirty jobs and they were doing a thing on hippos. When the hippos got into the water, they were swimmin with fish that looked like african cichlids? I know hippos are from africa so do they live with africans?
I would guess that there are some types of tilapia as well as Haplochromis fishes there.You should take a trip to New Jersey's Adventure Aquarium.They had a large hippo display with hundreds of African cichlids in the water.

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
krichardson;3839420; said:
I would guess that there are some types of tilapia as well as Haplochromis fishes there.You should take a trip to New Jersey's Adventure Aquarium.They had a large hippo display with hundreds of African cichlids in the water.

ya thats where Mike Rowe was, in camden...i havent been there in years but i prefer giong to the National Aquarium in Bmore

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
Dude don't even think about it. I tried keeping a hippo in my 75gal african tank and I was vacuuming hippo turds twice a day.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tstove15;3839426; said:
ya thats where Mike Rowe was, in camden...i havent been there in years but i prefer giong to the National Aquarium in Bmore
Bmore is awesome,I've only been there once but the Jersey place has changed since it opened and you would get to see up close how the hippos and fish look.I didnt know that Mike Rowe was there.

bob965;3839431; said:
Dude don't even think about it. I tried keeping a hippo in my 75gal african tank and I was vacuuming hippo turds twice a day.
Now which vendor did you get that from?:grinno:

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
bob965;3839431; said:

well i was thinking about putting it in my bathtub :naughty:

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
krichardson;3839455; said:
Bmore is awesome,I've only been there once but the Jersey place has changed since it opened and you would get to see up close how the hippos and fish look.I didnt know that Mike Rowe was there.
Ya that is where they filmed for the hippo exhibit...the fish were probaly some haps that were in there

ravio11i

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Raleigh NC
A 75??? that's way too small, you need like a 150 or something, they'll only grow to the size of the tank, but if they start too big it's too late they dont really shrink down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store