When claspers drop, does the growth rate slow down?

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
I have seen some pretty small(7-9in) sized motoros, marble motoros and SP rays that have fully matured. Will these males stay rather small? I know rays usually grow pretty fast from a small size with good food, but does the dropping of the claspers signal that he is pretty much done growing?

The reason I ask this, is because I have a friend who has a pair of motoros, both whom are roughy 10in and have already bred. He got them when they were like 4in and in a year he grew to 9in and dropped. Its been almost year since he has dropped and pretty stayed the same size.

For all of you who have rays that matured at a small size, have they grown anymore?

The only variable I have to mention, is that the rays are in a 125. Do you think the tank size has stunted their growth?

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
i have a 8-9" male marlbe that hasnt grown in ages. he has been the same size in my 700 gallon for at least 6 months

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
has he matured yet?

I know animals can have growth issues, midgets, stunted, dwarfs etc. But I am mainly interested in know if the dropping of the claspers is a sign when they stop growing. Sort of like how humans have growth spurts when going through puberty.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Interesting I have a male motoro at 10.5" and he has been the same size for atleast a year. He was mature 1.5 years ago at 10".

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
jwong1024;3840957; said:
has he matured yet?

I know animals can have growth issues, midgets, stunted, dwarfs etc. But I am mainly interested in know if the dropping of the claspers is a sign when they stop growing. Sort of like how humans have growth spurts when going through puberty.

forgot to mention... he has fully developed claspers. once they developed he stopped noticeably growing.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
omojena;3840971; said:
forgot to mention... he has fully developed claspers. once they developed he stopped noticeably growing.

cool thanks, now to see if this is the case with other raykeepers.

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
for clarification purposes:
male marble motoro
i got it at 4"
he is now about 8-9"
fully rolled claspers at 8-9"
hasnt grown since he developed his claspers
starting to pursue females in the tank but not sure if it has been successful yet

just a side not... he was the only male amung a group of 3 females. 2 his age and one adult. i have heard that males can develop early when they are in the presence of pheromone producing adult females. i firmly belive this is the case for him....

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
keepinfish;3840966; said:
Interesting I have a male motoro at 10.5" and he has been the same size for atleast a year. He was mature 1.5 years ago at 10".
This cannot just be a trend.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
omojena;3840993; said:
for clarification purposes:
male marble motoro
i got it at 4"
he is now about 8-9"
fully rolled claspers at 8-9"
hasnt grown since he developed his claspers
starting to pursue females in the tank but not sure if it has been successful yet

just a side not... he was the only male amung a group of 3 females. 2 his age and one adult. i have heard that males can develop early when they are in the presence of pheromone producing adult females. i firmly belive this is the case for him....

Hmm maybe, but I had a male marble with a very large female motoro and marble, and he did not mature in the year that I had him.

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
come to think of it though... there was a male flower in there with the same 3 females and he never developed his claspers. he is about 16-17" now and still doesnt have developed calspers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store