New Tiger ray pup - concerned

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Hello,
I have a new female tiger ray which seems to be very young, She is about 4-5' and her colors are very pale. She is wild caught from Peru, she has arrived to Israel just 5 days ago. I took her 3 days ago, tried to feed her with live blood worms, live earth worms and more - but no much luckhe same aquarium as the rest of my rays but over a barrier, as she is small and I wanted her to have less competition over the food and I was afraid the big ones may harm her.

She is moving from time to time but not much, and most of the time she is staying at the same spot.

What can I do to get her better, is it normal? Is Tiger ray more sensitive than Motoro? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks !

I attach a couple of pictures (no so good ones, I''ll try to add later on).

2010 013.jpg

2010 012.jpg

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Tiger rays are a very sensitive ray when newly establishing a wildcaught even more so if your water has a high ph and is hard. Do not change any water parameters just keep your lights off and keep the tank covered. Live blackworms work the best to start with but live bloodworms should also do the trick. It may take a week or two sometimes before they eat so don't get to concrened yet.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Thank you very much ! Yes, the water here is hard and with relatively high PH (around 7.0+).
As you suggest I will keep it dark, with no water parameter change, and keep try blood worms.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
DolphinRyan;3843390; said:
7.0 isn't very hard, that's practically neutral.
Ya'ap, but relatively to the Amazon it is. I thing the river PH is 6.5-6.7, am I right? In terms of hardness, the water in my area are known to be hard - I haven't had any trouble with Motoro, Yepezi, Mantilla nor Reticulata... but I guess Tigers are bit harder.

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
add some peat moss to your filter to soften the water and lower ph. keep it dark adn keep lots of live balckworms/bloodworms at all times!!!!! it will come around. should be fine... also... keep your temp @ 80deg F

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
If your ray isnt eating and you keep live blackworms in there, all you're going to do is end up with a tankful of mosquitos. As for the peat moss, you should just drop that idea too, it'll only cause fluctuations when you do water changes, causing you an even bigger problem. pH of 7 is completely fine...

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
omojena;3843610; said:
add some peat moss to your filter to soften the water and lower ph. keep it dark adn keep lots of live balckworms/bloodworms at all times!!!!! it will come around. should be fine... also... keep your temp @ 80deg F

I see. So, I need available food at all times, and should be live to prevent poluting the tank.

Do you think the ray need company? I know it sounds stupid, but I have observed my female Motoro getting much better after birth once she met other rays.

I have put her with my motoro pups (about 6 months old and pretty much at the same size).

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Gshock;3843667; said:
If your ray isnt eating and you keep live blackworms in there, all you're going to do is end up with a tankful of mosquitos. As for the peat moss, you should just drop that idea too, it'll only cause fluctuations when you do water changes, causing you an even bigger problem. pH of 7 is completely fine...
I tend to agree I should not play with the water conditions now - she went through so much already and needs to stabilize.

Are you in agreement regarding temperature ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store