ray question

mrbondatut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Toledo
Hello. I am longtime freshwater fish hobbyist. I am looking to challenge myself now though. I am planning a 96"x24"x24" tank in the near future and would like to raise a ray or two. particularly looking at a couple hystrix. would like to do motoros but im not looking to build a new tank later down the road. I was just curious about putting 2 same sex rays together. I've heard various stories that it can cause fights. I would like 2 same sex rays cause i dont wanna wake up one morning and have a handful of rays on my hands. please hook me up with any advice you can. thanks for your time

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
you can have trouble with two males when sexually mature. two females are normaly fine.

if you are thinking of hystrix then definitely buy a pair! dont worry about having a handfull of rays on your hands. people will be knocking down your door for the babys if they breed.

what other fish where you thinking of putting with them?

good luck

mrbondatut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Toledo
sam buckle;3848652; said:
what other fish where you thinking of putting with them?
nothing right away. i have a 55 gallon with some silver dollars and balas running right now that id prolly put in the new tank but until the rays are acclimated id keep them alone in the 240. maybe maybe i would get my hands on a juvenile arowana later down the road or a couple clown loaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store