Urgent! Poop eating fish needed.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Scats will not eat poop and neither will any other animal. Some fish, like scats, will scavenge through detritis to consume anything that hasn't been metabolized already. In the process of scavenging, they will break up/stir up that detritis so it can be more easily picked up by the filter. The same goes for burrowing snails, brittle stars, etc.
Keep a healthy current running across the bottom of the tank that directs loose surface waste toward the filter intake. That will help a bit.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
Fish dont eat poop dude.

Bottom feeders eat left over food or algae, but not poop.

You're just going to need to upgrade, or get better filtration.

Or just do larger water changes. Like 40% once a week. Then in between water changes, you could use one of those battery powered siphons that suck any poop sitting on the surface up. Kind of like a handheld vacuume. Just to keep it clean looking.

Adding another fish will only make your problem worse. You'll be getting twice as much poop in your tank as you were before.

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Yep, It's true there is nothing that will do what you want it for. The myth of poop eating fish derives from the pleco. Alot of people think that the pleco will eat poop and so therefor they feel that any bottom dweller will do the same. Pet stores even sometimes tell people to put pleco in their freshwater systems to eat all the poop and then they think they don't have to clean them agin. hahaha. I recommend getting a good protein skimmer, lots of live rock, macro algae, and make sure there is lots of flow too. Your flow should be 10 times the water volume of your tank with all your equipment added together.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
i thought we were talking about a freshwater setup. And i thought you meant blood parrot.
my bad.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
If you ever discover a fish that eats poop please let me know.. that person would become the richest person in the world instantly!!!!!!!!!!:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store