Getting motoro's onto 'Hikari Massivore'?

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've recently purchased two motoro pups and they are currently feeding on live earthworms and the previous owner said that they will accept mussels an cockles also. Obviously I want to start feeding them on 'Hikari Massivore' as I've read many great things about this product on the forum and I was wondering how easy it was to get the fish onto it? Or would you suggest the smaller 'Hikari Carnivore' pellets?

Many thanks.

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
Get them on Carnivore first; it’s the same as Massivore only smaller. I first gave mine Massivore but it was to big even when I broke them into pieces… he would just chew on it but couldn’t swallow. I got bag of Carnivore and he swallowed it like nothing. Make your rays are healthy and fat before you start feeding it pellets. It took mines 1 week before it started to eat pellets.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Get them on frozen food first. When they go after the frozen food EVERY TIME they see it, then start stuffing the food with massivore pellets. Keep doing it and it won't be long before they take pellets as is.

I used market shrimp, they're big enough to where you can stuff them without them "flying off" when you put it in the water

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
flamenco-t;3849738; said:
Get them on frozen food first. When they go after the frozen food EVERY TIME they see it, then start stuffing the food with massivore pellets. Keep doing it and it won't be long before they take pellets as is.

I used market shrimp, they're big enough to where you can stuff them without them "flying off" when you put it in the water

i agree!!

I use cichlid gold for my rays mixed with massivore.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if the rays are feeding on earthworms the best way to get them eating pellets is

cut up a few worms and soak a few pellets in the earthworm blood over night then tip the whole lot in at feeding time don't feed as much as normal for a few days

carnivore is better for small rays below 9 inch disk

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
I would just skip the frozen for now. They will take frozen alot more readily after taking pellets. Anyways, its a real PITA to stuff pellets into frozen shrimp. You could try T1's method, which i've heard many good results from, but I would just forget the whole thing and just offer pellets until the ray will actually take them. I hate the idea of that marinating sauce going in my water.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i just picked up a pair of scobina that were very very skinny and the last owner told me they will only eat earth worms and blood worm

i fed blood worm for the 1st few days to make sure the were eating then i soaked a few pellets in the blood worm over night and fed then 3 days later and both scobina are now eating pellets without the blood worm :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store