HELP??

stacy22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
indiana
ok i just went an got my water checked since im getting my new ray tomorrow an everything was ok but my ph it wasnt 7.0 do rays need 7.0?

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
7.0 is neutral pH. Its fine for the ray. Unless its wild caught, in that case you will need softer water.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
bs...you don't need a specific pH for any ray captive bred or wild caught. Just use whatever comes out of your tap...Theres so many people on this site alone with wild caught rays in water that is very soft or very hard and they are perfectly fine...

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
I agree with any pH is fine. But I was thinking if its a wild caught ray that is in much softer water then tap, just adding the ray into your tank with higher pH will stress the fish. Id use the drip method with your new ray and you will be fine.

stacy22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
indiana
ok cuz 4 sum reason my ph in both my tanks stay at about 6.8 an idk y but thanks everyone!!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
DON'T DRIP squirt and dump...your ray will be fine in that water...it will ajust to your ph

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
rED O;3850869; said:
Whats wrong with the drip method?
Depends on your situation. If you're buying the ray local, dripping is fine. If you're buying from wholesalers or someone where it requires shipping, ammonia is probably building up in the small amounts of water in the bag. Lower temperature and low levels of oxygen will somewhat dull the affects of ammonia. By dripping warm, highly oxygenated water, the affect of ammonia becomes more and more dangerous. Basically, you're just slowly dripping your ray to death.

Squirt and dump is basically openning the bag and squirting an undefined amount of dechlor into the water before doing anything else. Then, as the second part suggests, you dump the ray into your tank. Thats right, no dripping, no nothing, just scoop and dump. I prefer to do it this way on both shipped and local rays, its alot easier and its been working for the past couple years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store