Which Gar Species would be ok with a RTC?

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Hi guys and gals, I've been thinking of getting a Gar for my 450g. Wondering what kind of species and size would be suitable with a RTC? I've seen a 20" Spotted Gar at a LFS here and was thinking of rescuing him or should I pick up some smaller ones at 7-8"? My friend's LFS has a bunch of them at that size for sale but forgot which species was it. The 20" Gar at the other LFS is in a 72g and I really feel bad for it. Would it be ok with a RTC in the long run? My RTC is currently 13".

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I'm not sure about compatibility between a gar and an rtc, so I'll let others chime in on that, but I would say if you go for it, get the bigger gar. The smaller ones are likely to become a snack, I would think.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Sorry forgot to add if I end up getting the smaller Gar it would be growing up in my 225g first. I do have a RTC/TSN in there at 6" and I'm just letting him grow up a bit before I throw him in with the bigger boys.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Alligator Gar FTW :headbang2

Get yourself a nice 12-24" Gator Gar and you'll be in good shape.
You'll have the most amazing freshwater fish there is, plus you won't have to worry about ANYTHING harming him.

Problem solved, you can thank me later.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
personally wouldn't try that mix, i think rtc's can and will attempt to swallow something tat looks entirely too large to be eaten.. if anything, gator gar will be an okay mix, but only after both fish are of a substantial size and growthspurts have stopped

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
i would have to second xander's advice

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Looks like Gator Gar is the way to go. Now my question is will the Gator Gar eat my Aros and Pbass? Say all grown up to a good size.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i'd have thought the appropriate question would be "can my 450 hold a gator gar for a good period of time". a good period of up to 2 years? should be fine. for life? no way. to answer your initial question anyways, yes they will be fine (although it is an inadvisable combo, i'm guessing you mean predation wise) for a while. but a 2' gator will start shredding them in due time. outright predation when the gator is 3-5feet is not out of the question either, even if the bass/aro is 2'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store