Breeding

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Can NTTs be bred in captivity?
I went to the local fish market the other day and there was a stall selling the smallest NTTs I've seen to date, hundreds of them. Each one was the size of my little finger nail. I asked the guy if they were wild and he said no. I asked my wife about it and her answer was, "anything can be done in Thailand."
I seem to remember reading that Dats dont breed in captivity.
Your thoughts would be good because if I'm right i may try to look into it further and share the secrets

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
hormones in asia

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
^ sorry don't follow. You mean the fish are exposed to hormones to make them breed?

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I'll look in to it.

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
Read this article. It's quite old but very very interesting.
This guy claims that ITs, NTTs, and NGTs are being bred in Thailand. They are having a hard time breeding STs however.
I'm quite surprised that even Thai people do not even know about this (If all this was in fact true). I think they use chemicals to get them to breed.
If you think about it, maybe tigers really are being captive bred. Currently there are thousands and thousands of little ITs flooding the market worldwide. It's hard to believe they were all wild caught.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79020&highlight=tigers+wild+caught&page=3

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
The NTTs i saw were tiny, he had about 100 of them. I will ask and see if i can go look.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I agree with nomad/ funwow... no evidence has ever been shown or made available for breeding.
But, like some members say, can all these tiny tigers really be wild caught?

Let's see some pics of these tiny tiny ntts then.

Fruitloop.... Bold statement..."1000's of baby IT's flooding Market world wide..."
where d'you get that info / qty from? A few LFS have some in US, and some members ordering private, but that's all....

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
^ I'm on it. Obviously i aware that mere writing alone is not evidence of what i see. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture with my phone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store