damn NGT won't eat pellets! Advice please

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I have a 5.5" NGT (New Guinea Datnoid), it lives in a 170G, fights with my 10" Azul and 8" IT. I've had it for about 5-6 months now. It only eats frozen bloodworms sparingly which I feed once every 2 wks. All the other fish aggressively eat massivore/carnivore pellets and sinking shrimp pellets. It won't touch the pellets and has gotten very skinny but still relatively active. I've tried garlic extract, and also bloodworms soaked pellets for a short time...... but nothing works. Will it starve to death?

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
NGTs are the most aggressive datniods of all. There is a low chance of getting him on cheap food at the stage he is at. Just keep starving him. Soon he will realized that the pellets are his only food. Very rarely will a fish starve to death

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
good luck man. my ngt only ate bloodworms also but its starting to take MP now. It might be easier to get him on market prawn than pellets.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
bongko;3857532;3857532 said:
good luck man. my ngt only ate bloodworms also but its starting to take MP now. It might be easier to get him on market prawn than pellets.
How long did your NGT take to eat MP? How did you do it?

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
fishaddict401;3856896; said:
Very rarely will a fish starve to death
Yes but it does happen, believe me if he gets too thin, give in and feed him and try again, if you can't break him a second time, i usually give up.

888fish;3856934; said:
REALLY? Looking a bit anorexic right now! Thanks.
It all depends on the fish, I have two NGTs from the same batch, One I cannot get on pellets after multiple starvings to the point of skin on bones, he only eats MP which is fine because I my armatus eats only MP also. Thew other one from the same batch is like 4x his size and eats food sticks, massivore and cichlid pellets. Go figure.

GL ;)

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
888fish;3857833; said:
How long did your NGT take to eat MP? How did you do it?
just cut a small piece of shrimp and toss it in when you have the ngt's attention. after 3-4 days of starvation my ngt swam to meet me in anticipation of food so then i dropped the shrimp where it sees it. took me a couple of trys because the ntts are a little more bolder and go for the shrimp first, so have a few pieces on hand if your other tankmates eat it instead. the first time it sort of sniffed at the shrimp and didnt bite but 3rd attempt it bit and kinda ate and spit some out. by attempt 5 it just eats it (~10days).

IME the NGT never ate the shrimp off the ground tho, so hopefully your other fish will get the shrimp instead of having to net it out. DONT leave uneaten shrimp in the tank. you can also try the garlic and shrimp combo if it still doesnt bite.

I think it might be easier for you to try the shrimp thing now since it's been starving for a while. anyways good luck.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Don't let anyone tell you that a fish won't starve to death-lost my first NGT that trying to get it off bloodworm and onto MP. I just stopped feeding the bloodworm altogether, people told me it'd be fine for weeks etc-crok of s...t!

Memebr here called ettfettbraman (Swedish fellow-top MFK) gave me the following advice and I got my current NGT onto MP in 2 days using this method. Chop up small pieces of MP (NGT have small mouths) and get a block of frozen blooworm. Leave them to defrost and mix the two and leave for 15-30 minutes. Then tip it in the tank. Worked a treat for me.

That said finding it impossible to get the NGT onto pellets-all the other Tigers eat it (thats another thing with Tigers-its not always a case of Monkey see, Monkey do)

Good luck and hope it works ;)
Rob

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
berserker;3859319; said:
Don't let anyone tell you that a fish won't starve to death-lost my first NGT that trying to get it off bloodworm and onto MP. I just stopped feeding the bloodworm altogether, people told me it'd be fine for weeks etc-crok of s...t!

Memebr here called ettfettbraman (Swedish fellow-top MFK) gave me the following advice and I got my current NGT onto MP in 2 days using this method. Chop up small pieces of MP (NGT have small mouths) and get a block of frozen blooworm. Leave them to defrost and mix the two and leave for 15-30 minutes. Then tip it in the tank. Worked a treat for me.

That said finding it impossible to get the NGT onto pellets-all the other Tigers eat it (thats another thing with Tigers-its not always a case of Monkey see, Monkey do)

Good luck and hope it works ;)
Rob
Good points here,I lost two NGT Dats due to my trying to convert them from feeders.One had a more orange coloring and the other was more yellowish green,two beauties.One of them would'nt even take the feeders after I had given in.:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store