tankmate size ?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
my fl is about 16" now and i am growing out som pbass to put in with it...how big should the bass be before i put them in?...i had 6-7" balas in for a while and they were fine, but i wouldn't be pissed if i lost a bala...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
well, I've watched my 16" florida and 17" shortnose swallow 3-3.5" silversides no problem, so I would think anything under 5" is likely to be viewed as a snack. He may still go after them even at that size, but you never know.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
my orino is 6" and my ocell or mono is 5"...i may wait...the biggest i have seen mine eat was when it was 13-14" it would eat 3-4" goldfish the big ones from petco...

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
I had an 18" alligator gar that ate every thing in my tank 4-5 inches and smaller and would just bite on fish that were lager till they died. Be careful with gar tank mates

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have a layed back florida that doesn't mess with anything it can't eat...

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
gars and pbass is a bad mix. The bass are too aggressive of feeders and steal food out of the gars mouth.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
plz do a search. youlll quickly find that pbass are a bad combo. so it really doesnt matter for size does it?

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
sbuse;3858218; said:
i have a layed back florida that doesn't mess with anything it can't eat...
That's what i thought for some months...
I had, i say had a barb in with my Gar.
The Gar seemed not interested after it's initial attempts to catch the barb failed.
But last friday night i found this in my tanK:

The fish didn't fit, but the Gar gave it his best shot!:D
btw he did eat his usual dead feeders in the afternoon.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
aidenb;3858247; said:
gars and pbass is a bad mix. The bass are too aggressive of feeders and steal food out of the gars mouth.
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3859564; said:
plz do a search. youlll quickly find that pbass are a bad combo. so it really doesnt matter for size does it?
yes, but so are aros, oscars, big cats, cichlids...only other gars are good tankmates for gars...doesn't mean it wont work and be fine...if they seem not to be working i will move the bass...lots of things aren't supost to work but they do...if they don't i am ready...

Noddy;3859923; said:
That's what i thought for some months...
I had, i say had a barb in with my Gar.
The Gar seemed not interested after it's initial attempts to catch the barb failed.
But last friday night i found this in my tanK:

The fish didn't fit, but the Gar gave it his best shot!:D
btw he did eat his usual dead feeders in the afternoon.
thats why i am still waiting...i seen it looking at some 5-6" sucker minnows real hard, that i put in for my tsns...it didn't try to get them though, just thought about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store