PLEASE HELP ID!!!!

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
I read all the sticky's but could not find this gar in there. I found him at my LFS label as "silver needle nose gar" and could not resist. He is about 4 3/4". I know he species is Lepisosteid (he has nostrils), but what type? Please help me! i have looked all over the net but found nothing. i truly need your guys assistance. With the id can you give me feeding recommendations and max size, Thanks abunch!!!!!!:) P.S. Sorry about the awful pics.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
have ANY of you guys read the stickies or are you all just being sarcastic;)

it's a florida gar...

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
xander;3858677; said:
have ANY of you guys read the stickies or are you all just being sarcastic;)

it's a florida gar...
as i stated i read them but that color is throwing me off? I am leaning toward a Florida ( which is a short nose) gar myself but I have never seen a Silver Florida Gar? will the colors change over time? Or is it a odd ball?

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
bahamaqt00;3858633; said:
looks like a hujeta to me. If i am right he is not part of the Lepisosteid family
Definitely not a Hujeta (Freshwater Barracuda) if you look at my tank setup i have one of those all Ready so i know it is not a Ctenolucius hujeta. Thank for the response though.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
MasterB;3858293; said:
I'd say a shortnose gar of some sort, I doubt its a Asian, looking at the beak tells me that its not an Asain, the Asain beak is a lot different than a Shortnose and the fins are totally different than each other.
I agree.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
mrwinkle;3858758; said:
if you can agree with that statement that you definately need to read the stickies more closely. there is no such thing as asian gar, and shortnose gar is a single species, and does not branch off into more subspecies'. as already mentioned, you have a florida gar (lepisosteus plathyrinchus), and not a ;)florida shortnose gar (lepisosteus plathyrinchus plastostomus);)...the silver colouration comes from the fish being washed out or stressed. pretty common in lfs gars.

as for feeding recommentations & max size, do a quick search you will find more than enough info on those topics:)

iManipulate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's not a Hujeta, they look nothing like that, nor a Needlefish. Those are both different species, that its shaped nothing like.

Its a Florida Gar. I had one just like him, Unfortunately I had to get rid of him when he was 11", he stayed that nice color though! His spots were small and condensed in small areas, he was beautifully silver. It will darken when he ages, but not much. Congrats on such an awesome find!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store