Worm Outbreak?

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Just got a new ray in the q-tank a couple days ago and now during my daily water changes, there seems to be really really small brown roundworms in my tank. At first I thought it was just broken up poop, but then when I took a closer look, they are obviously moving around. I tried getting one under the microscope but its been impossible to actually pick one up as they're so damn small. They're like 2-3mm long and like 1/2mm thick. They do not look anything like planaria, nor do they look like flatworms. They're brown and round. Any idea what on earth this is? Harmful? Sorry, no pics, my camera cannot capture something this small...

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Have you tried taking some tank water out w/ the worms and then dosing w/ prazi to see if that destroys them?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
CrAzYNeSs;3859536; said:
Have you tried taking some tank water out w/ the worms and then dosing w/ prazi to see if that destroys them?
good idea

i think someone had these b4. i think the verdict was about the same as planaria. do u see alot in the junk on your filter padding?

salt might help also

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
vamptrev;3859557; said:
good idea

i think someone had these b4. i think the verdict was about the same as planaria. do u see alot in the junk on your filter padding?

salt might help also

good thought, i think your right.

ripper171

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Winnipeg

Is this the worm you have also (circled in RED) ?

I realize its not much to look at, but i have had these guys for nearly a month now... and i've tried water changes, complete stop no feeding (2 weeks) and they still are around, i've also tried changing all the media out of my filter and the introduction of 2 new power heads with very fine filtering media attached... still nothing.

Though i've seen no negative effects on the tank... i'm not happy with it..

I would also like help with this.... type of worm?

i hope these are the same worms as you may have as i dont want to intrude on your thread. I'm trying to add visual support to possibly both our problems.

hope the picture was some help to someone who's dealt with these little guys before...

thanks

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
vamptrev;3859557; said:
good idea

salt might help also
From what I know, planaria is harmless right? It might be the crap in my filters. If I remember correctly, I havent cleaned the filter out for like 3-4 months, I'll take a look tonight or something.

Zoodiver;3860202; said:
Eye droppers are good ways to get parasites on a slide to scope them.
Couldn't find an eye dropper around, so i tried using the syringe. Not much luck though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store