Duck Lips (Flowerhorn Cured)

fsirico

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2008
florida
I just wanted to post this to say I beat Duck Lips. My flowerhorn looked healthy as ever He's about 6'' inches. I decieded to breed him, all was going well but the stress of cleaning the clay and the whole courtship thing probably brought this on, as it did the same to my other two flowerhorns that died from the same thing. After 3 days I noticed he did not beg for food. I looked closely and noticed above his lip was starting to swell and started to protrude outward. This has happened to me twice with two other flowerhorns that I lost from duck lips. It starts small and then each day rapidly the mouth of the fish exstends forward in a locking position and die's within a couple of days. What I did this time was at that early sign removed the fish into a ten gallon tank. I treated quickly with 300mg og tetracycline with 1 tab of parasite clear and Wardley ick away for external parasites and salt, and used two big air stones with a cycled sponge filter. The temp. I keep around 75 degree's. No heater. I did this every day with a 50% water change. It took 8 days for him to start to recover and 11 days cured. Lot of work for this disease. But for valuable fish its worth it. This was for a flowerhorn. Other fish might not survive this combo and strenght of doses. Hope this helps anyone that has this problem.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After duck lips is cured, or the fish has died and been removed, I have been using the mild oxidizer, hydrogen peroxide to help rid the tank and substrate of any dormant or straggler bacteria. I have found that the peroxide hasn't too hard on my fish, but seems to stop any new cases.
When I first tried it as an experiment, figured "what have I got to lose", the remaining fish were either exposed to Fexibacter and would die anyway, so if the peroxide killed them, well....
I added a liter to a 50 gal tank, and no new cases.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
BREIDOHRI'S are very susceptible to this. My breidohris get this all the time. Metro+Kanaplex+Furan2 works great!!! Cured it everytime and let me tell you it's been quite frequent. Only happens to my breidohris and no other cichlids! I think it's from sifting the sand!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store