Gar questions! Help!

Destroyer551

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
Orlando, Florida
How would a single florida gar fair in an outdoor pond with 2 channels catfish? Filtration will be bog plants, cattails, duckweed, etc. Pretty low tech, so a single gar is all I want. Pond size will be 300-500 gallons...I'm still digging. I live in central Florida, and high water temps will be around the 80s, with lows being below 40... freezing the top of the water. I'll run a pump as well. I plan to order from Snookn on aquabid. I won't be getting the gar in 4-5 months...but I might as well plan ahead.

USFallingFire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Illinois
What are the dimensions? In my experience gar and cats tend to stay out of eachothers way since gar don't eat off the bottom and vice versa.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
should be ok together my gar never messes with any of my catfish so as logn as you got enough room in the pond go for it

phatballer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
I THINK IT WILL BE FINE. I KNOW A COUPLE OF STORS IN CALI THAT KEEP GARS WITH KOI AND DO FINE

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
gar and cats cohabit in nature. i'm not sure what the length, depth and width of a 300 - 500 gallon tank would be, but you just need to ensure that these fish have space to not stay away from one another. also, you have to consider size and growth rates for the gar and channel cats. you don't want one outgrowing the other and eating the smaller.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
*sigh* no they arnt good tankmates. they arnt at all. with 500 plus u might be able to get away with it but unlikly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store