Cowfish compatiblility with a Wrasse?

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
I am considering getting a wrasse for my tank which currently houses a large snowflake eel and a cowfish that's about 3.5". I am thinking maybe a Cortez or saddle wrasse. Do you think these wrasses will be too aggressive towards the cowfish?

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
nope should be fine but what are the sizes of the eel and cowfish and the wrasse your looking at?

mr.reef24

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
just remember cowfish are deadly (not while alive) but once they die they give off a toxin that usually killes every other living thing in the tank

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
mr.reef24;3877391; said:
nope should be fine but what are the sizes of the eel and cowfish and the wrasse your looking at?

mr.reef24
The eel is a little more than 1' and the cowfish is 3". I don't have a particular wrasse in mind, but probably one 3"-5"

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
its possible the eel will eat the cowfish I seen it happen before I had a dwarf lionfish that was 4 inches and my 12 inch eel ate it

mr.reef24

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
mr.reef24;3880965; said:
its possible the eel will eat the cowfish I seen it happen before I had a dwarf lionfish that was 4 inches and my 12 inch eel ate it

mr.reef24
the eel seems to have no interest in the cowfish but i guess we will see.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
i had a yellow watchman goby that my eel ate, hasnt shown interest in other smaller fish in the tank(misc damsels and a six line wrasse). he will look at them when looking for food but he never took a shot at a fish other than the yellow watchman the night i put the eel in. i think he was starved though from the pet store and ate the first thing he came across. i keep him well fed and dont give him live food so he hopefully wont take out any of the damsels i have.

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
jus85411;3890824; said:
i had a yellow watchman goby that my eel ate, hasnt shown interest in other smaller fish in the tank(misc damsels and a six line wrasse). he will look at them when looking for food but he never took a shot at a fish other than the yellow watchman the night i put the eel in. i think he was starved though from the pet store and ate the first thing he came across. i keep him well fed and dont give him live food so he hopefully wont take out any of the damsels i have.
well i am worried about the wrasse being too aggressive for the cowfish, notsomuch the eel

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
you should be ok since your adding the wrasse after the cowfish. probably depends heavily on the wrasse itself more than anything. each fish has its own personality, whether its going to be more aggressive or less aggressive is up to how the fish feels in the tank its in and the fish its with. the only thing you might want to worry about with your wrasse harassing the cowfish is if it has "cleaning tendencies" like a lot of other wrasses. if it tries to clean your cowfish he might get freaked out by a fish coming that close to him with what seems to be intents to harm him, whether it is to harm him or clean him. my big green spotted puffer seemed bothered by my lamarks angelfish because he would go up to him and try to clean sand off him. the angelfish cleaned my starfish a lot but the puffer seemed to be the only one that was skittish about the angel coming up to him.

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
jus85411;3894225; said:
you should be ok since your adding the wrasse after the cowfish. probably depends heavily on the wrasse itself more than anything. each fish has its own personality, whether its going to be more aggressive or less aggressive is up to how the fish feels in the tank its in and the fish its with. the only thing you might want to worry about with your wrasse harassing the cowfish is if it has "cleaning tendencies" like a lot of other wrasses. if it tries to clean your cowfish he might get freaked out by a fish coming that close to him with what seems to be intents to harm him, whether it is to harm him or clean him. my big green spotted puffer seemed bothered by my lamarks angelfish because he would go up to him and try to clean sand off him. the angelfish cleaned my starfish a lot but the puffer seemed to be the only one that was skittish about the angel coming up to him.
cool cool

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store