Will my cowfish be eaten?

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
The potential compatibility issue has been brought up between my 2 recent PUs; a longhorn cowfish 3" and White-Spotted hermit crab(Dardanus megistos) a little smaller than my fist.
People think that the crab will eat the cowfish if it gets a chance.
Do you think this is true or do you think even if it grabbed the cowfish it would taste its poison flesh and loose its appitite?
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303178

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
I would think that the cowfish would eventually eat the hermit crab. I just picked up my own LH Cow, and am mysteriously missing one of my crabs. They eat shrimp and snails and that helps grind their beak down. I am about to move mine out of that tank once the larger one is cycled.

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
TheCanuck;3875177; said:
Cow fish also have this thing where if it dies , everything dies in your tank. All of you should be aware of this before adding cowfish with any of your other fish.
Aside from the crabs, he's the only fish. I learned the hard way. I had a clown, and a PJ and got a sponge crab that destroyed my mushrooms and sponge. He put it all on his back and I was pissed. So I traded him in for a cucumber and that thing died in one day and when I pulled it out it released all the poison. Needless to say, I watched all my fish die withing 10 minutes. Shaking, ramming the glass, floating lifeless, then one final jerk and dead. :cry:

So just the Cow and my hermie in the tank. (oh yea a little p. shrim, but he stays in his little cave) He survived the poison.

OH! now if for some odd reason the cow died, then yes, the hermie would try eating it. :D

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
mamapuff;3875162; said:
I would think that the cowfish would eventually eat the hermit crab. I just picked up my own LH Cow, and am mysteriously missing one of my crabs. They eat shrimp and snails and that helps grind their beak down. I am about to move mine out of that tank once the larger one is cycled.
agree i think the cowfish will annoy it to death or out run it when attacked

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
the cowfish if it is small will leave hermit alone when it is big will flip it over and eat it or possibly leave it be

mr.reef24

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
mr.reef24;3877381; said:
the cowfish if it is small will leave hermit alone when it is big will flip it over and eat it or possibly leave it be

mr.reef24
well as long as the cowfish is cool

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
The cowfish has teeth like triggers. Don't trust it. They look innocent. But they aren't. When the cowfish matures a bit more, it will eat your crab. Cowfish sample coral too.

seanathon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
KY
~ocean;3894643; said:
The cowfish has teeth like triggers. Don't trust it. They look innocent. But they aren't. When the cowfish matures a bit more, it will eat your crab. Cowfish sample coral too.
well i don't have any coral and if that's what has to happen then i guess nature will just run its course

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store