"Ideal" tank proportions?

RAWfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
NC
There are all sorts of tank shapes and sizes. I've had some of the typical ones like 10g, 20 long, 26 bow, and 55. However, I've been eying 40g breeder tanks. I like the idea of having front-to-back depth for aquascaping and to allow the fish to swim in "3D" versus just back and forth from left to right and up and down. I also think it would make for good viewing from more than just the front. From that point of view, the 55g was terrible... such a long and skinny tank.

From what I've read in these forums, the breeder tank proportions are mainly to promote better oxygen exchange, but I like the way they look and think the concept of a tank that's fatter than it is tall is nice. It seems like they'd also be easier to do maintenance on because you don't have to dip your arm in up to your shoulder to reach the bottom.

Thought on the "ideal" tank proportions?

Edumicate me please.

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
You should get a variety of opinions with that question.
I think that a tank taller than 24" would be a pain to maintain. What kind of fish are you going to keep ? I think a big factor in keeping aggression down in my Mbuna community is the 8' length of the tank. They love to chase each other around but rarely make it the full length of the tank before giving up. I'm not sure there is an "ideal" size. It depends on what the fish need , what you want to see , and how much you want to spend.

RAWfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
NC
dawnmarie;3882695; said:
You should get a variety of opinions with that question.
I think that a tank taller than 24" would be a pain to maintain. What kind of fish are you going to keep ? I think a big factor in keeping aggression down in my Mbuna community is the 8' length of the tank. They love to chase each other around but rarely make it the full length of the tank before giving up. I'm not sure there is an "ideal" size. It depends on what the fish need , what you want to see , and how much you want to spend.
Very good point. I can see that there could be lots of different reasons for various tank shapes depending in the stock.

I haven't gone to monster or very deep tanks simply because I want to keep the maintenance quick and easy. Regarding the fish, because my current main tank is only 26g I just have your basic community fish like Tetras. However, if I did end up going to a 40g breeder, I'd probably only add to my existing Tetra schools (Red Eyes and Neons), and maybe add a couple of larger "anchor fish" like Blue Gouramis or something a bit bigger than the Tetras... haven't really thought about the stock too much. Well... now that I'm thinking about it, I currently have 2 small Bala Sharks (~3.5" each) that don't belong in this 26g... maybe my existing stock would be just perfect in a 40g, for a while.

Disclaimer: I got the Bala Sharks before I realized they don't belong in such a small tank. I will eventually rectify this somehow.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
for larger tanks, 24" in width is the best, but that takes up a lot of room if you leave space from your wall for HOB filters etc.

I have a 150g that is sort of a 'show' tank, in that it is 72 x 18 x 29.5 tall.

I love the proportions even though it is only 18" wide.

the 72 x 29.5" viewing area is amazing to sit in front of. looks massive.

looks a lot nicer than 24" tall tanks.

I just don't like the look of elongated looking tanks, so I like tanks that are taller.

but some people love that look, so for example they would rather have a 125 (22" tall) than a 150 because of the more shallow look.

to each his/her own.

go with what works for your fish, and what you think looks nice.

IMG_0265.JPG

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
12 Volt Man;3882799; said:
I just don't like the look of elongated looking tanks, so I like tanks that are taller.

but some people love that look, so for example they would rather have a 125 (22" tall) than a 150 because of the more shallow look.

to each his/her own.

go with what works for your fish, and what you think looks nice.
I feel the same way when it comes to long, shallow tanks.

When shopping for my new tank, the 120g (60x18x26) seemed "just right" in terms of its size. The extra height just made it have a very nice look about it. Plus I was limited to 5' due to the location where I was placing it.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
personally, I prefer the concept of the breeder tanks; I think my ideal tank proportions would be: 1/2 as wide as it is long, and no more than 24" tall

so, maybe something 60" x 30" x 24" . . . which I guess is about 185 gallons

Tigerdat

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
USA
I like tanks that are wide and not too tall.

120 x 32.625 x 24 400gallon
42 x 30 x 22 120 gallon
48 x 20 x 16, 80 gallon I use this tank for breeding fish. I also have a few 40 gallon breeders 36 x 18 x 16

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store