Heavy metals in well water?

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
I was wondering how much I should be worrying about heavy metals in my water... I have been using Aqua Safe water conditioner for the longest time, but just recently started wondering if I am just wasting money.

It's an artesian well in an older (over 30 years old) house.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Just use prime its a hell of a lot cheaper because you don't use nearly as much I just recently switched from aqua safe to prime. Two drops from an eyedroper per gallon. Its better to be safe then sorry.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I don't use anything in our well water, I used to and realized it was a waste of money. Prime, etc 'claim' they neutralize a few metals but I looked and looked and couldn't find a single thing verifying it.

blackghostuk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
UK
Well water is as likely to have metals as tapwater, as the water in a well has 'diffused' through rock, and can contain anything soluble in the rock.

Prime and Waterlife Haloex work out 100x cheaper than Aquasafe, which is more or less the same stuff but diluted.

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
That was pretty much the reason I just kept buying it... just in case.

I'll have to look at prime or that waterlife haloex you mentioned, blackghostuk. I've seen prime countless times at the store, but never thought it would be considerably cheaper... That's pretty cool. lol

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Why don't you get your water tested to see if there are any heavy metals? You may find conditioner isn't needed.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
The important thing is location, location, location.

Where I live well water is generally very good quality in general (slightly basic, reasonably low in iron, negligible heavy metals, 0 nitrate), but 10 miles away the water is terrible. The only way to really know is to have your water tested.

As far as using prime or other water conditioners: Do you drink the water? If so, I certainly wouldn't bother conditioning...

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
I drink the water occasionally, and it's fine... but my family buys bottles of Poland Spring and I drink that for the most part. The coffee gets made with the tap water though... lol

blackghostuk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
UK
Dan Feller;3883498; said:
As far as using prime or other water conditioners: Do you drink the water? If so, I certainly wouldn't bother conditioning...

We can drink water with enough heavy metals to cause damage to fish without being able to taste it. Same with a lot of contaminants. We are far less affected by impurities in water than fish are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store