My stupid question!!!

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
blyth, newcastle, england
ok, so i know this question will be soooo obvious and have been too embarrased to ask due to this but i gotta find out some how.

i am very unsure about water changes, obviously you dont just top up with tap water because of clhorine etc but what exactly do i do?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
the only stupid question is the one that isnt asked.

just syphon out 25-50% of your tank water, using the suction to hoover up any poo and other solids from your tank too and replace with fresh water from the tap. its also advisable to give your gravel a quick vac while your doing a waterchange, you can buy them from pets at home. the non return valve on them means getting a syphon going is a breeze and the plastic vac fits perfectly onto a regular garden hose if you dont want to caryy buckets of fish water around. the waste water is also great for grass and plants. always use a good dechlorinator, i use seachem prime.

im pretty sure that none of the water boards in the uk use bog standard chlorine anymore. they all use chloramine which needs to be broken down by a dechlorinator that states it does chloramine on the label. seachem prime is also good should you have a nitrite/ammonia spike.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
cichlid2006;3884555; said:
the only stupid question is the one that isnt asked.

just syphon out 25-50% of your tank water, using the suction to hoover up any poo and other solids from your tank too and replace with fresh water from the tap. its also advisable to give your gravel a quick vac while your doing a waterchange, you can buy them from pets at home. the non return valve on them means getting a syphon going is a breeze and the plastic vac fits perfectly onto a regular garden hose if you dont want to caryy buckets of fish water around. the waste water is also great for grass and plants. always use a good dechlorinator, i use seachem prime.

im pretty sure that none of the water boards in the uk use bog standard chlorine anymore. they all use chloramine which needs to be broken down by a dechlorinator that states it does chloramine on the label. seachem prime is also good should you have a nitrite/ammonia spike.
so do i just add the tap water in and then add the solution as soon as it's topped up? or does it have to be treated before being added to the tank?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
scottswald;3885475; said:
so do i just add the tap water in and then add the solution as soon as it's topped up? or does it have to be treated before being added to the tank?
I always add Prime either before or while refilling the tank, that way the fish don't have to sit in chlorinated water for too long.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
drgnfrc13;3885502; said:
I always add Prime either before or while refilling the tank, that way the fish don't have to sit in chlorinated water for too long.
ah, i see mate. thanks for the help lads.... :headbang2

irishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
New England
I did it the long-er way. Always gravel vac I guess Ive never understood why one would not. Why leave all that sht on the bottom and stuck in the gravel?

Empty out how much you want, 20% at least and then I add prime to the 5gals as I fill em up. Get lazy often and dump the full amount into the first or second button. Been doing it forever with prime/stress coat and its never been an issue.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
this is not a stupid question. it's a fair question. if you want to see stupid questions, watch some of the questions that are posted in the lounge. good luck to you with your tank and welcome to MFK.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I do the 5g bucket method since there isn't a faucet anywhere by my tanks. I gravel vac 5g out, carry it outside and pour it on the yard/dry spots in the summer. Then go to my bath tub add the amount of dechlorinator into the bucket and dump in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store