cheap fish food?

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
blyth, newcastle, england
i would imagine that there will be online shops where i can get really cheap fish food (flAKE)

i think in my lfs it is about £12.50 per 100g, i would imagine if i get it online in a bigish tub i could get it down to near £5.00?

bearing in mind i live in uk...

thunderchicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Personally I would not buy a big tub of flake. It will expire and lose what little nutritional value it had to start with. Also, good to vary diet based on fish so don't just feed flake.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
i apologise but i must not be very good at the search function because i cannot find the info

pellets are better? are they cheaper or more expensive?

people say they are trying to get their fish to take pellets, how do i go about trying to get my fish to eat them?

do the majority of fish like vegetable matter now and again?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
pellets provide a cleaner food source. flake is messy and if your fish are larger than a couple of inches you can go through loads trying to give your fish the proper diet.

i feed hikari cichlid gold (sinking), earthworm pellets, spirulina pellets, frozen bloodworm and garlic/paprika pellets.
try to buy the hikari (if thats what you choose) from ebay as its much cheaper http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIKARI-CICHLI...QQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item5638cfdb66. when you set out to buy a bag of hikari it can look expensive but it does last longer than you think. i buy the 342g bag and one is lasting me over 3 month and im feeding whats in my signature (midas is 9").

i use the spirulina pellets for veg in their diet. i get the earthworm and spirulina from here http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/Stick_Foods.htm. it looks expensive but you dont feed them everyday. the oearthworm and spirulina on ebay are not what the pictures show but the link i have given has the good ones.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
that seems a great price for the pellets, was expecting it to be a lot more than that tbh. thanks for the link.

my freind used to feed his fish actual vegetables now and again, he wud put a thin slice of cucumber with the edges cut off and leave it in there for 4-5 mins, they seemed to love it. is this recommended?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
what fish do you have?

if they will take it then it shouldnt do any harm, i use the spirulina pellets because they last and store longer than fresh veg. highly predatory fish need a meaty high protein diet so greens may not be a good idea for regular feeding (so ive read) but its good every now and then to add extra vitamins and minerals.

if you have fish that are natural grazers such as uaru and severums then cheap plants work great as a constant nibble for them. i used elodea densa bunches when i kept uaru A. very cheap and very fast growing.

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Kensfish.com sells food in bulk. The prices are good and the food is also good. Just freeze the part your extra food until you need it.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
ash54876;3885624; said:
Kensfish.com sells food in bulk. The prices are good and the food is also good. Just freeze the part your extra food until you need it.
this^^^^^^^^^^^

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
lol, $149.49 incl international saver shipping for 5lb of cichlid pellet.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
i've heard stories about some fish not taking sinking pellets.

do you think this is common? if so, how can i encourage them to eat the pellets?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store