purchse sizes

wafsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
ohio
curious about purchase sizes. planning for 2 florida gar, 1 ornate bichir and 1 tire track eel. tank is a 180 gallon. question is, what would be good sizes to purchase these fish at to ensure the coexist peacefully.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Try to make the tiretrack the largest so he has an easier time competing for food. Then get the ornate and gars around the same size.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Citrinellus;3884968; said:
Try to make the tiretrack the largest so he has an easier time competing for food. Then get the ornate and gars around the same size.
:iagree:

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
those gar are gonna love that TT. it better be big if u even want a chance......

wafsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
ohio
thanks for all the info, so if i get the tire track at like 10-12" and the rest at less than 6" i should be fine right? the tt being that much bigger, it won't mess with anything right?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
wafsman;3885504; said:
thanks for all the info, so if i get the tire track at like 10-12" and the rest at less than 6" i should be fine right? the tt being that much bigger, it won't mess with anything right?
That should be fine. Also, I would recommend hand feeding the eel, that way there won't be any problems with competing for food, also tire tracks that are hand fed are ten times less shy than the ones that aren't. It is very easy to train them to be handfed, mine ate out of my hand the second day I had it. Oh and, make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the eel so that if the gars turn out to be aggressive toward it, it will be less likely to get eaten. Good luck.:D

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
im not that good with TT eels but i doubt that they grow as fast as gar. at those sizes the gar might be able to catch it. might want the TT larger

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3885564; said:
im not that good with TT eels but i doubt that they grow as fast as gar. at those sizes the gar might be able to catch it. might want the TT larger
Mine went from 5" to 13" in 6 months, so that's almost 1.5" a month and I don't feed him very often, typically about 5 times a week, so I'm sure they could grow at least 2" a month if they were fed once or twice a day. So I don't think the gars would outgrow it.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nope, the gar would possibly match it, or just be slightly under it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store