asking questions you already know the answer to at the lfs

CanadianBacon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
just woundering if anyone else asks employes at the lfs questions that u already know the answer to. i find myself doing it quit abit i guess im just curious about the knowlege they actually know. anyone else do this? and do you ever correct them if u think they are wrong?

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
i do.
usually there honest and say youll have to ask so and so. really makes me happy.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I always think about it but I never do don't usually say anything to them. I'm always listening though when there giving advise to other customers and a lot of the time its not good.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
if its a new lfs then i test the water a bit with something like "can i put a pair of oscars in the biggest bi-orb with guppies?". you would be surprised at the amount of "yes that should be ok" ive heard in reply. if i get a yes then i leave and vow that they will never get my business.

its a simple enough question to see if the shop can be bothered or if they are just after a quick buck. a lot of the time employees are teenagers wanting some extra cash at the weekends rather than hobbiests though so i always head for the owner/manager and ask them instead.

edit: what erk419 says is also a good one ive used a few times.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
I know all the people at my LFS and they are fairly knowledgeable about fish, so no, I don't ask them questions, although we do sometimes share information

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
I never go in cocky at LFS. I know that I can always learn something new everyday. I have the priviledge of going to some very reputable stores. That being said, I do find myself biting my lip sometimes when go to stores like Petsmart and Petco. When I overhear customers asking if a Pacu will live in a 30gal and the employee says, "Yes!" I really want to intervene. I usually wait until the customer is alone until I give my advice. In general, I tend to share experiences and practices with the LFS that I frequent. It's one of the best ways to expand my knowledge in this hobby. You can never know too much!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
erk419;3885640; said:
I always think about it but I never do don't usually say anything to them. I'm always listening though when there giving advise to other customers and a lot of the time its not good.
Same here,and a lot of times I am tempted to butt in but I don't.I used to ask the questions that I knew the answers to but I don'tbother anymore because I already know that most of the LFS employees in this town don't know much and they try to BS the customers.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
It makes no difference to me how much or how little the LFS employees know. If I have to ask questions when I get there, that means I haven't done enough research. Even the guys that are really knowledgeable still have to make sales to pay the bills, so you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store