Is feeding freeze-dried Krill bad??

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I've heard a few stories of people killing their fish by feeding freeze dried krill. My old Bichir loved this stuff, and I regularly feed my Mosquitofish and Rainbows the krill crushed up, but I stopped when I heard that some fish die from it... which fish can eat it and which can't...?

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
I have always fed it to my fish, they love it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
BlackShark11k;3885815; said:
never heard of fish dyeing from it myself...
Me neither,I had a datnoides that ate them almost exclusively.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
I've had one of my widebar dats take in a piece and within seconds blood was coming out of his mouth and choked and died. Some of the pieces are are extremely sharp and ridgid. I no longer use it, though I've used it for years and years before that incident.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
krill do have a sort of tough exterior shell, but i have always fed it to my fish. they love it and i have not heard of any fish dying from eating freeze dried krill. i would even go to the extent of stating that a little bit of roughage is good for the digestive system. it creates a sense of satiety.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
vanimate;3886428; said:
I've had one of my widebar dats take in a piece and within seconds blood was coming out of his mouth and choked and died. Some of the pieces are are extremely sharp and ridgid. I no longer use it, though I've used it for years and years before that incident.
Wow,sorry to hear you lost a fish in such a horrible way....and that it had to be a Pulcher.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
It has been said to cause protruding anus in arowana. The key is variety, don't feed just the FDkrill. Also it can have sharp tails so need to watch for that.

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
Any fish can die and choke on any type of food IMO. But in the past I have had little silver arowanas roughly around 3"-5" choked and die from krill even after I soaked them. I never fed krill to my fish ever since...I still have the krill but I don't really touch them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store