PLEASE HELP!!!

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
I'm so frustrated right now!!!

So I've had a 75 gallon brackish tank running for almost a year and the 2 columbian sharks were doing fine. One is almost 10" and the other is 5-6". Well the smaller one stopped eating the Hikari Cichlid Gold sinking pellets so I decided to move him to a 26 gallon tank to try and get him back on them. It's been a week and he still won't eat them.

Now on top of that, the 10" one stopped eating them now. I have no idea what to do.

I'm doing a water change tomorrow on both tanks and see if they might eat them after that.

I can't JUST feed them bloodworms, can I? Because that is all they will eat. Is it not healty for an everyday diet?

Help! :nilly::cry:

GermanRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
East Texas
Rather than let him go without, try to get him to eat something. Blood worms, night crawlers cut up, cut shrimp, something........and then see if you can get him back on food that you want him to have.
Changing up his diet will at least let you know if it is food or environment that is keeping him from eating perhaps. Good Luck!

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
You have a reading for Nitrite but no reading for Nitrate? They could be stressed.

Water changes are a good idea. I would do one every 3 days until Nitrites are 0 and then test your water frequently to keep an eye on things.

Any strange poo lately or possibility of internal parasites?

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
GermanRam;3886026; said:
Rather than let him go without, try to get him to eat something. Blood worms, night crawlers cut up, cut shrimp, something........and then see if you can get him back on food that you want him to have.
Changing up his diet will at least let you know if it is food or environment that is keeping him from eating perhaps. Good Luck!
I would never let these guys go without food. I love them too much :(

They're eating bloodworms, but that's the only food that's not dry I have. I have beefheart but they don't care for those.

So bloodworms is pretty much the only thing on the menu for now.

I'll try and get a variety of frozen foods next time I go to the lfs like squid and shrimp and stuff :)

Do you think they just need a break?

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
Ang;3886030; said:
You have a reading for Nitrite but no reading for Nitrate? They could be stressed.

Water changes are a good idea. I would do one every 3 days until Nitrites are 0 and then test your water frequently to keep an eye on things.

Any strange poo lately or possibility of internal parasites?
fixed it
nitrite is already 0
poo is fine.

GermanRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
East Texas
The only other thing I can think of is..... The food that you are offering.......How fresh?.....Are your fingers dry each time you get some out?.....Mold can be undetectable to the eye but not to your fish!!!!!

Columbian Shark Catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
California
GermanRam;3886049; said:
The only other thing I can think of is..... The food that you are offering.......How fresh?.....Are your fingers dry each time you get some out?.....Mold can be undetectable to the eye but not to your fish!!!!!
I just bought the food about a month ago.
fingers are always dry when feeding, out of common sense I wouldnt go in there with wet fingers.

And the catfish and loaches in my other 75 eat them everyday.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
I have two Colombians also but in a 55. Try feeding them something else. Some things mine eat are shrimp from the grocery, bloodworm's, beefheart, brineshrimp, hikari sinking wafers just to name some. I'm not really sure why your trying to make there main diet a cichlid food. Try some different things there probably just getting tired of the same thing all the time that and a variety is better for there health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store