Mature female hystrix..

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I have a hystrix that is near maturity. She is getting close to 10" however my male hystrix is growing much slower and not mature. In my other tank I have a mature motoro, you think it may work. Female hystrix with male motoro? He is about 10.5"

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i know that bigdaves has done female motoro/male hystrix, but if they are close to the same size, maybe it could go the other way.. i may be attempting this. My female hystrix can keep up with the more aggressive rays, she is a pig!

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I have the male Motoro x Hystrix Dave bred, in his breeding it was male hystrix, female motoro.. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way around..

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
keepinfish;3898019; said:
I have a hystrix that is near maturity. She is getting close to 10" however my male hystrix is growing much slower and not mature. In my other tank I have a mature motoro, you think it may work. Female hystrix with male motoro? He is about 10.5"
Try it! You know how your male is with female rays so be ready in case it doesn't work.

hbluehunter;3899512; said:
I have the male Motoro x Hystrix Dave bred, in his breeding it was male hystrix, female motoro.. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way around..
Any updates on this ray? What size is it now? New pictures please:)

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
spotfin;3900976; said:
Try it! You know how your male is with female rays so be ready in case it doesn't work.

Any updates on this ray? What size is it now? New pictures please:)

I know he can get rough with them. But he is a breeding machine!! my female hystrix is much thinker than my male motoro but not quite as big disc. She is getting close to 10" now..
I may move them this weekend.

Would love to see an update of the hystrix / motoro!

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Here's a couple of the latest pics of him, he's around 9" now and mature.. I caught him trying to mess with my 13+" marble last night.:naughty: That would be a interesting mix..

IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8239.JPG

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I'd say he's more hystrix than motoro, he has the growth rate and size of a hystrix.. We'll have to see how big he gets, it would be sweet if he hits a growth spurt and keeps his cool markings.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Very cool ray.

I'd go for it. Just be careful. My male hystrix is just in the beginning stages of manhood (7.5in) so it should not be too much longer. However, my female is no where near ready. She has grown significantly but is only about 6in. That's a long way from the almost silver dollar size I got her in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store