Rescued a Gar

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
I finally picked up my first Gar last week which I rescued from a LFS which I posted about in my previous thread thinking it was a Spotted Gar. It actually turned out to be a 17" Alligator Gar. I know my tankmates are all wrong and thanks to xander and everyone else for all the advice but I'm willing to take the risk and chances also I couldn't resist taking this one home:). So far no problems as of yet and my Gator is eating alot already. I trained it to take full Lake Smelts and I just trained it today to take full size market shrimps. Anyways here it is my Gator named "Gatorade":D

I use this rod to feed Gatorade and it's amazing how he chomps down on the food:nilly:

As for their future home in the next year or so I'm hoping to build a nice size indoor DIY tank/pond for them. I'm moving back home next year into my house that has a full size basement which isn't being used. I'm hoping that the dimensions of their future home would be at least 14'-16' x 8'-10' x 4'-5'(roughly 3500-3800 gallons).

Motoxs3th

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2010
Seatown
thats awsome. youll be fine with all those tank mates.
i have 2 in a community tank no problems

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Motoxs3th;3899513; said:
thats awsome. youll be fine with all those tank mates.
i have 2 in a community tank no problems
i know the OP has already stated he's aware of potential tankmate complications, but what makes you say this? how long have you had your gars in that community tank to provide this advice?

to the OP - at least the tank is a good size...gatorade should grow well for you in there. keep us updated on his progress--
--solomon

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
E_americanus;3899580; said:
i know the OP has already stated he's aware of potential tankmate complications, but what makes you say this? how long have you had your gars in that community tank to provide this advice?

to the OP - at least the tank is a good size...gatorade should grow well for you in there. keep us updated on his progress--
--solomon

Thanks. I just worry about their future home as I hope the size of it would be adequate. I will be going home to check out the basement and do some measurements. I will keep everyone updated.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Nice, Gatorade looks to be a fan of Hockey:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store