Odd Gar behavior

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I was surfing MFK when I noticed my Gar following my ray around. For a second I thought he was gonna sample taste its tail! :eek: His mouth or beak were "tapping" the rays disc and tail, but in the end nothing happened. :confused:

Any ideas why my gar might be doing this? He just plain curious? Getting ready to taste some ray? Thoughts?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
probably curiosity/dominance, nothing malice. i'd wait for a response from someone better versed w gar behaviour though

biggin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2008
Somewhere
I have seen a Tropical Gar who runs the tank hover over rays, doing something very similar. Seems to be a dominance thing and the rays did not approve much of it either.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
my thoughts are dominence as well. its an imtimidation thing

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
dominance/curiosity...gars do this with other gars and many other fishes. nothing to be concerned with unless the gar gets whipped in the face by the ray...hopefully both are relatively placid--
--solomon

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Both are pretty chill...

Thanks for the input boys!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Spatula;3904877; said:
That's who we thought YOU were :nilly:
i can only know as much as reading, forums and emails can provide. there is just so much work on these fish that i will never be able to access or have experience in. in that sense we are almost all like frogs in a well on this;)

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
xander;3905311; said:
i can only know as much as reading, forums and emails can provide.
Oh my mistake, I thought you had a tank with a bunch of Gars in it.
Which is why I figured you knew a little bit about Gar behavior, guess we'll have to wait to hear from someone who has a few Gars as pets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store