soon to be, New Stingray owner, questions

ac64218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
charlotte, NC
Hey ya'll
I'm new to this site (first post). I just recently purchased a 180 gallon tank (6'x2'x2') and I'm thinking about getting a stingray (or two) to go in it with my oscar, african bushfish (lLeopard Ctenopoma), and possibly a fire eel. I'm kinda lost in the amount of contradicting info out there. On one hand there's a lot of people out the claiming you need massive 4'ft wide tanks to keep these guys. Yet, i see people's blogs showing off their 10 year old motoro that's living comfortably in a 90 gallon tank.

http://www.dcpaleo.org/Leisure/Animals/FishesStingray.html

Do these guys adjust to their tank size? what do ya'll recommend for me; being that I'm a beginner and my tank size? what is actually available and where's a good place to find a variety of healthy specimens? do ya'll know of any good breeders online?

ac64218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
charlotte, NC
hey, I also found this guy selling "tea cup" stingrays on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-freshwater...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9d7fafb

when i asked him the species, he simply replied that they were tea cups and that they would get 36". I was under the understanding that "tea cup" simply meant a small ray. you would think a breeder would know the species he/she was breeding. can any one identify it for me? as far as i can tell it's a retic

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
looked at the ebay ad, it looks like he has motoro rays and retics and i think that's a flower in the back. that being said their mostlikely hybrids why not buy from someone on here? as for your tank i have a 180 also i got some scobinas though, if i were you i would get histrix or scobina rays if you can find them and depending how much you want to spend.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
The person who wrote the blog in your first post has no idea what they are doing. "Partial water changes every couple weeks" "minimal maintenance as possible". I dont even know how that ray is still alive. Well I wouldn't expect water changes to be necessary considering the amount of food that this person gives to their ray. That has to be one of the most underfed rays I've ever seen. No wonder its lasting in a 90... This is a VERY bad source to start with.

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
My rays are in a 270g and a 320g. They are motoro rays and the largest is 24" wide after a few years (started at 8"). Both tanks are 6' x 3' and i am wondering if they will be wide enough for the rays after a few more years. I have no room for a pond, which would much better suit them. I guess it will have to do, as I doubt the lfs will take large rays.

A 180g tank that is 2' wide is too small for a ray in the long run. I would rethink about rays or get a larger tank.

ac64218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
charlotte, NC
hey gshock, I know this is going to sound bad but, is it possible to regulate size based on how much you feed? would this be ethical/feasible?

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
i think i can answer that one for you and the answer is no. i would not suggest it and you wont get much love on here for doing so. sure it might live a couple years under extreme stress and eventually it will die for being too stressed out and underfed. there is plenty of info on here and in the stickies i would suggest reading and then go from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store