Hmm, what is this?

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
So, I went to check out some new fish places today and came across this guy.. Sorry for the horrible pics but all I had was my phone camera. The picture makes him look a little darker but he is damn near black to begin with. I tried to get a good picture of his snout because it is really wide like a gator. I asked the kid that was working what he was and he replied "he is an alligator gar, they are illegal you know, but don't worry you will be fine" lol. He does have some really gnarly teeth but I have never seen a gar so dark. Maybe it is just poor water conditions? He is about 14+ inches so I don't think he is a faulse gar. Maybe a hybrid? What do you guys think?

Attachments

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
What kind of gar is it though? It's not too pricey. Less expensive than the 2 12"+ Florida gars I just bought.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
This is a situation where a better camera is needed ;)

I want to say Gator but I can't rule out a Trop with that pic quality so I'll just say that it is forsure a member of the Atractosteus family :headbang2

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
isnt that too dark to be a gator?

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
iloveoscars702;3916070; said:
isnt that too dark to be a gator?
For a regular gator it is, but if thats its true coloration when not stressed its too dark for any natural gator and is melanistic mutation. So it could be a melanistic mutation of any species, but looks most like a gator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store