First stingrays?

tyjo1334

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2009
around the corner from the LFS
I have a 75 gallon and a Eheim 2227 wet/dry canister filter currently using a cheap double bulb 48" lighting. I want to clean out and put white sand and maybe 2 freshwater stingrays in it. What do I need to know about these fish and do you recommend getting a Glo T5 H.O. fixture?

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Your gonna need a bigger tank for stingrays. A 75 can be a "temporary" grow out for some stingray pups but even then, I'd recommend at least 100 gallons. Depending on the ray, you're gonna need a tank that's at least 24" wide...at least 30" wide for larger ray species.

Check put this link:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i think you have more to worry about than lighting

wait for it i bet you have a new big tank planned for the future

i recommend you get the bigger tank 1st then think about lighting

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
i have a 150 grow out .. and my motoros are growing out of it fast .. 150 is 4 feed long 2 feet wide and 31 inches tall .. maybe a year out of it or year and a half .. max ..

i would say with motoros or something around the same size a 36" wide tank is a must ..

Frommanhattan42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Brooklyn, New York City
lightning is not important for stingrays.
One thing the most you need to know about this fish is, they are very very sensitive on ammonia. and they eat lot, you need to feed them at least twice a day. which mean they will produce more waste and ammonia. so you will have to change the water a lot more often than any other fish that you had before.

they do grow in big size so you might want a bigger tank in the future. the high of the tank is not important, 2 feet is good enough, the most important is the area of the bottom of tank.

and make sure you have a cover for your heater, stingrays skin are very sensitive and they will mostly likely will get burn from the heater if you don't have a cover.

Just remember to change water and reduce the ammonia :)

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
I have a couple small retics in my 75. Just temporary until the 180 is done cycling and such. As long as you have a bigger tank for them in the near future, you'll be ok for a little bit. Frommanhattan cover the important bits. Clean water is #1.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store