keeping motoro with arowana

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I've been keeping my arowana with a stingray, anybody has an arowana or any other motoro tankmate stung by stingray? my wife noticed my stingray pointing its tail at my arowana when it was trying to climb the sides of the tank. I'm a little worried. I have a new tank coming soon, will be moving the ray outdoors soon.

just wondering any incident of arowana or any opther fish getting stung by ray?
whats the outcome?

DEMENTED

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Pandora
ive kept motoros with my arowana with no problem. i have 4 right now with an aro. i find that rays are some of the most peaceful fish out there!

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks. was quite shocked when i heard my wife told me the motoro was trying to sting the arowana. there were 2 of them in my arowana tank, but i sold 1. so only 1 left.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Im pretty sure your ray isnt trying to sting your aro. They won't randomly do it, and when they really get threatened, they hit VERY accurately. I'm almost 100% if your ray was really in that kind of situation, your aro would've been tagged already as there is a very slim chance your ray would miss.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
i always wanted to do this, keep a ray with an arowana but can't keep them in CA. Gotta move to another state.

18Klownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Michigan
I have a 10" aro with two Motoro's about 8" diameter and they all get along fine. My aro doesn't even pay any attention to the rays when they climb the glass.

Frommanhattan42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Brooklyn, New York City
I kept few stingrays with other tank mates before and no problems. Now i have a Motoro with some red hooks they seem to live very happy together ;-) my motoro does clim on the tank but she doesn't point the tail to any other fish. in your case, could it be just the style the way your ray swim?

Base on what i know and my own experience stingrays are very friendly. They can basically keep with many other fish, as long as those other fish won't bother them. what i worry the most is other fish will bother rays. my arowana (18 inches long) is very aggressive, he will bike and chase any fish, not to kill them but just for fun :-/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store