Best feeder fish to breed for dats?

Rawrs.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
New York City
So I have a empty 55 now with just water, sold my short body green terror and was wondering what type of feeder fish should I breed to feed my dats.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
feeder guppies. they are cheap, easy to breed, and easy to maintain. but there are chances of diseases.

megalops///

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Fl
www.floridasportsman.com
Without a doubt the best feeders for these guys are live ghost shrimp! If I bring some home, My AT immediately recognizes what they are from inside the tank. My AT freaks out like a kid in a candy store. I buy them for 10/$1.00. But mostly just use them as treats. My AT/silver datnoide will eat them until his mouth won't shut, lol.

Ghost shrimp make the fish grow much faster than any other live feeder, IMO. Plus with all the nutrition in the shell of the shrimp, my Indo tarpon(s) and AT look so healthy and colorful after a week a using the ghost shrimp. When i want my fish to look the best or to heal it from anything this is what I feed.

On a daily basis I use the common Mosquito fish, aka Gambusia affinis. They are very hardy, tolerant to salt, can live between 37 - 90+ degrees F, reproduce extremely fast.... and so on. Good thing too is that they live anywhere from New Jersey to Florida and all the way to Texas. Very east to find in the wild. I have custom small mesh cast-net just for these guys. I never have to pay for feeders unless I get ghost shrimp.

I got the mosquito fish info above from a book I have but here's the Wikipedia for it.

Mosquito fish Wiki

rclark12

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2009
new jersey
if its small dats id do guppies, they'd be perfect size

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Want cheap...Convicts all the way.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Why do you want or need to feed feeders?

Steve

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
spwd;3934358; said:
Why do you want or need to feed feeders?

Steve
For feedings. I breed feeders because they are cheaper, I know where they came from, I know that they are health, And for training young fish to eat other foods.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
haynchinook334;3934385; said:
For feedings. I breed feeders because they are cheaper, I know where they came from, I know that they are health, And for training young fish to eat other foods.
You dont say,lol

you know what i meant ive got small dats and there is no reason why you have to feed feeders.

Steve

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
spwd;3934396; said:
You dont say,lol

you know what i meant ive got small dats and there is no reason why you have to feed feeders.

Steve
Yes, but some don't come out the bag eating pellets or what not, thus some training is in order. I have trained all my old fish that way. There is nothing that they will not eat. You hear some are eating pellets, some are eating krill and so on. It worked for me. And why not feed them feeders you have raised yourself?

Dats have a really high metabolism when young, for that reason feed a hefty amount of food. And I think, feeders that's been raise under your own care is better then store bought feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store