Stingrays chewing on others tails

Trevor0015

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
Ames Iowa
Should my stingrays chewing on the other rays in the tanks tail be an issue to be concerned about.. They aren't chewed up that bad but enough to be noticable. I want to take care of the issue before there is a chance to get out of hand. If I need to seperate I will but if this isn't that big of a deal I'll just let them be. They get enought food everyday to keep them satisfied. I have two females and one male. Any thoughts?

Trevor

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
wht is enough food?

tail bitting is because they r hungry IME

killarbb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
iowa
^ i agree with trev.

we are trying to feed stingrays once or twice a day. in nature they are constantly kicking through the sand, eating everything they can.....so if you think it is enough, i would guess double it.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
vamptrev;3933100; said:
wht is enough food?

tail bitting is because they r hungry IME
^^Ditto^^

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Which ray(s) are doing the chewing? I had a male motoro chew the tail of the female, and it wasn't from being hungry. It seemed more of a mating behavior. I would put a divider in the tank to stop the chewing. The male would leave the female alone for awhile after removing the divider, but always started the behavior again.

Trevor0015

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
Ames Iowa
Ive got two motoros one big female, one mature male and another motoro hybrid female(her tail is the one the is getting chewed up) She is the same size as the male and the male has been trying to breed both of them for awhile now. I feed them heavy each day of the week (one feeding).. I feed them enough until they are no longer hungry, I put a bunch of food in the aquarium and wait for about an hour and then take out the remaining. Shrimps, scalops, worms, pellets... I do weekly water changes. I think I might try to get a plexi glass piece and try to seperate the male from the females.. If everyone agrees that this is an issue that needs to be taking care of. If my feedings don't seem like enough let me know thanks.

Trevor

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would watch the rays while feeding to make sure all 3 are getting enough to eat.

Does sound like the male is too frisky with the smaller female. Might be a good idea to separate them.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
May also be worth splitting the feeding up to be 2x a day. My Motoro are getting through 6 shrimp a day split into 3 at 6am and 3 at 6pm. If I tried to give them all 6 at once they wouldn't be able to finish it (they can't finish 4 in one sitting but 12 hours later they'll devour 3 again anyway).

It might not improve the tail biting, of course, but feeding this way I have no wasted food and they're not having to go 24 hours between feedings.

Trevor0015

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
Ames Iowa
I watch them eat each feeding they have.. everyone gets enough, like I said I leave the food in there for about 30 mins to 45 mins and then scoop out the remaining.. But feeding them twice a day sounds benificial. Im going to try to seperate them for a little bit.

Trevor

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i feed all my rays twice per day. if i dont then they start biting eachother.

some rays are more aggressive then others also. i have 1 or 2 rays that bite other rays just for the fun of it :screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store