deciding on sand or gravel

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
well i am using a black estes sand works good but really want to go with a lighter color. im thinking tan or brown just something that will really bring out the colors. i have been going through old threads all night and still cant decide. so here i am asking.
what brands of gravels is anyone using and please please post pics. i kinda want gravel as it wont stick but im still on the fence about it.
i also want to see some pics of people with sand. type, size and if it sticks to the rays.
im kind of looking at caribsea products torpedo beach, sunset gold, crystal river, and peace river. but that dosent mean i should get any of those. i havent seen many pics of the torpedo beach or crystal river though.
well any help is appreciated. so help me decide on the new substrate.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I would find a kind of gravel you like. I had black estes and loved it. Then I went bare bottom and really love it. Sand looks the best but there are some many wrongs that come with sand. If the tank is acrylic it will get scratches, sticks to the rays, some gets sucked in filter if stirred up, you end up with sand on one side and bare bottom on other because rays dig it up, then you always have the chance for bacteria growth. I know sand is more natural for the ray but there is nothing natural about aquarium living. Just my 2 cents.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
thanks pete i did see that. and was curious how smooth is the gravel? it kinda looked like it did have some edges on it. i think i will order it and put it in and if i dont like it then petsmart carries the sunset gold so i could always buy that also.

and fd your advice is worth alot more than 2 cents to me. i like the black but it seems like the rays are darkening up a little much. and im just not a huge fan of barebottom its just never been my thing. thats why im wanting to go to light colored sand or gravel.

im still looking for in tank pics of crystal river and torpedo beach though.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
I was worried that the Peace River might have rough edges but it really doesn't and the rays aren't being scratched by it. In fact, one of my motoros had quite the pink belly thing going on before I gave them a substrate and now that's gone. Could be coincidence and she just grew out of it but they're certainly not irritated by it.

In the unlikely event I go to my LFS I'll get a cell phone pic of the Torpedo Beach if nobody posts something.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
its not a big deal if no one posts im prolly going to order this tonight so its here by midweek. so how well do they bury themselves in it as my rays are on the small side i want to make sure that they have no problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store