Need Help ASAP... Is this normal

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
How long has that tank been running and how deep is the sand. I can't say I have seen a rays disk edge to that. He looks agitated. How does his belly look? Does it have red patches on it? My first thought is something bacterial is going on.

critter4life1981

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Milwaukee
The tank has been running for a week. The sand where it was burying in is between 1/2" to 3/4". Belly has no signs of redness either.

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
this has happened to me with a prize of a motoro female do major water changes fast. what type of sand is that? And when you do water changes do u stir up the sand ? the sand can hold gas's of toxic waste that you dont know are there and will irratate the rays disc ! it will then slide up and down on the tank walls almost to save its self from the burning

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
whts the ammonia level?

do u know how the nitrogen cycle works?

a 1 week old tank is deff not cycled, unless u transfered alot of media from an existing tank

critter4life1981

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2006
Milwaukee
I thought it might be the sand. Its ODYSSEA Natural Marine Sand. I got it from my local pet shop and they said it was fine for rays because thats what they use for theirs. I had 30 lbs of sand in there last night but didn't like it so I took 15 lbs out this morning. Hour later is when I noticed the shedding.

vamp... yes I do. I ran one of my canisters from my other tanks also but took it out the day before I was getting the ray.

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
hym last night no good buddy I think that was to fast of a jump sounds like you jumped the gun here and did everything to fast remove it water change it quick

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
You in essence took away the beneficial bacteria that was supporting the tank so its just as if you just started the tank. You're doing too much. The key with rays is stability. Put the other filter back on immediately and do water changes regularly. Leave the sand and everything else alone bro. Put the temp on 82-84 and use two or more table spoons of salt per gallon of water in your tank.

I've seen this ray in person and she is quite a gem...Would be a shame to lose her.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store