Can any stingray expert shine some light for me?

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hello all, I have been looking up and researching about stingrays for the last little while.

I recently procured a 90g tank (was told it was 100g, then found out afterwards it was only a 90g, measurements 48' x 18' x 24').

Anyways, I haven't even started setting it up for anything yet, I want to be sure before I do.

Once everything is set up and ready, would I be able to house a reticulated stingray in it until I could upgrade my tank to a larger version? I have my eyes on a 185g+ tank in about a year or so. Would the stingray be ok in this size until then? Currently, it is only about 3-4 inches in diameter. The fish store nearby has had it for approx. 2 months, and it seems healthy so far, swimming and eating and such.

Would it be too harsh on the ray to have to move it to an upgrade down the line, or would the not be a huge problem?

Any help, advice or tips would be appreciated. I was pretty disappointed to find out that the tank might not be big enough for even a baby reticulated. :(

Thanks guys!

bigfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2009
down under.
Dont sound too bad. They tend to move well but why not just go the big tank to start with. Its a lot of work to set up and get a tank cycling later down the track when you can jus do it now. Not to mention the price. Just my opinion, thats all. Good luck in your research.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the advice.

The thought at the moment is that I don't have that much extra money to afford a larger tank at present after buying all of the equipment like the wetdry, heaters, and all. Hard to drop that much money as a brand new home owner/student. I'm in my last semester of college before I enter the work force in 2 months time, where I can be making enough for an upgrade.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Sorry for the double post, I also wanted to ask; Is it best to keep the stingray to itself, or add other fish in with it? Obviously not ones that are aggressive or small enough to be munched on. What types of fish, if any, would you guys recommend? Remember, the tank at present is 48'x18'x24'.

Thanks!

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Well any species of cichla highly recommended, some species of catfish, arowana's, earth eaters cichlids pretty much any species, datnoids, and of course other rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store