No disease, no new addition.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Hello MFKers,

Here's my hypothetical. The tank is established and disease free. If you do not introduce anything into the tank, keep up with the water changes, and you feed only frozens/pellets. In theory there should be no vector for disease (i.e. internal parasites, etc.) in the tank, right?

Thanks!

fastcarsnbigfishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
CrAzYNeSs;3938787; said:
Hello MFKers,

Here's my hypothetical. The tank is established and disease free. If you do not introduce anything into the tank, keep up with the water changes, and you feed only frozens/pellets. In theory there should be no vector for disease (i.e. internal parasites, etc.) in the tank, right?

Thanks!
Wrong.
You will never have "sterile" water. Therefor there will always be microbes in the water, and living in the rays. They can be harmless when the rays immune system is in good shape. However stress, diet, and many other things can depress the immune system and this can allow the bacteria/parasites/fungus to thrive/multiply/grow and effect the stingrays health. So you have to always keep an eye on your rays, even when you have not added any new tankmates.

skylineiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
Australia
yeh not true mate,

one example, you put in food (pellets), it goes uneaten/unseen for days, its not going to stay good, and if a ray eats it...

well you get the idea.

But assuming the ray eats all the food and you take any uneaten food out,
and you feed them pellets/frozen food your right in amusing there is less risk than feeding them feeders not farmed by yourself. if that is what your trying to get at.

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
kinda like how all fish have ich? takes stress to trigger an outbreak and the ich is never completely removed.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Interesting. I knew it to be the case but I had to hear it. Damn these pesky diseases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store