Dats diet!

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
I purchased 3 small borneo tiger dats on saturday. They guy at the LFS said they were eating frozen bloodworms and live glass worms. Well when I throw in the bloodworms they dont really show interest at all. Where do I go from here?

predatorbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
HADES
TRY FROZEN MARKET SHRIMP. I GOT SOME SMALL INDOS AND I WAS TOLD THEY LOVE BLACK WORMS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WERE TO GET ANY FROM SO I TRYED SHRIMP AND THEY LOVED IT

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Start with live blood worms or the suggestion of live glass worms to get them chunky first then try non live when they are a little bit fatter.

longv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
SoCal
mine are on frozen bloodworms right now as well as hikari carnivore pellets and omega shrimp pellets. they dont go after the food right away either i just throw it in and leave it, when i come back its usually all gone

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Yea I guess i'll stick w/ frozen BW, but i'll pick up some glass worms next time when I go to buy 3 more little guys. Should I try ghost shrimp? They do eat a little bit, but then just stop and hide.

FreeMason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
NYC
stick to BW for now try to convert to market shrimp then toss in some crushed pellets once in awhile to get them on pellets.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Cut any type of frozen foods into tiny bite size chunks and marinate in defrosting bloodworm. This usually works.

Remember though, after transporting dats, they can go on mini hungerstrike, usually for for 1-3 weeks. This is for bigger tigers.

For baby one like yours, this should only last a few days, as they are young, hungry and growing. Ghost shrimp is good to induce/ encourage feeding, but not much protein.

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Alright thanks well I'll pick some ghost shrimp up today.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I have found the tiny baby borneo tiger dats very flexable with their diet. I had an emergency breakage relocation with them and a few other new fish, and they are now in with small c/s american cichlid community.

They really seem to love live or thawed brine shrimp, shreded "white" market fish fillet (avoid fatty fish), market shrimp. I have found that they do NOT seem to be fond of scallop for some reason?

For the babies, I just take a sisscor and cut up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store