Stability

megalops///

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Fl
www.floridasportsman.com
I have a few questions, as do a couple others I'm sure.

I have a bunch of little guys (Indos, I think) growing out in a 55g. They are not stable unless they are feeding or defending their territory. Whats the deal with this? I gave them plenty of cover to hide and what not. Are they not comfortable yet or am I not providing adequate care?

I've had an AT now for about 3 months and he's been 100% stable the whole time. He's gone from 2'' to 4'' in the time that I've had him. He is the only dat with a few Indo tarpon in a 125g. I plan on ditching the tarpon and housing the group in that. then planning on getting a massive tank (400+) to keep in permanently.

I've read a a couple different pieces of info saying they will stabilize as they get older. Any truth to this?

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Well I just purchased 3 small dats over the weekend, and they are constantly chasing each other around the tank. I have only beeen able to get them to eat live ghost shrimp, but im gonna try frozen krill.

megalops///

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Fl
www.floridasportsman.com
DiscusManiac11;3943626; said:
Well I just purchased 3 small dats over the weekend, and they are constantly chasing each other around the tank. I have only beeen able to get them to eat live ghost shrimp, but im gonna try frozen krill.
Get frozen mysis shrimp. Mine tear into it and love it. I just hold the little frozen cube and a couple of the little guys will them come up and eat right outta my finger tips, nibbling at the block. Others will just wait for the shrimp to float by.

Are any of yours stable?

Rawrs.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
New York City
i have 17 baby indos... like 10 of them are mostly stable and the one i mentioned which is really light brown.. lol im curious myself but i noticed when i turn on the tank lights they aren't so stable, and when i close it they stable up again.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
All those new to tigers, ESP Indos,.. GET use to it. Indos r 50/50 when it
comes to stability. Doesn't matter what they look like In The sellors tank, there's no guarantee they'll look that way in your tank. ST r generally a lot more stable.
Re-arranging tank may make them stable for a few days or week, but they'll go back to unstable soon after. Diet has made no difference in my experience. Stable with lights out is normal... But who wants to see a dark tank???? Lights on timer and they get use to it after a year or so

BEST thing is waiting and time.
Some r always unstable, even after 2-3 years (vice versa). Alot of people don't have the patience and sell dat cause they realise they don't want to wait for them to go stable.......
if utype stable in search function, you'll find it's a highly discussed topic.

Megalops: stable with age/size: bull#%€t....(not aimed at u)
As I said it's 50/50. There is no consistant circumstance which define when and how an indo is stable.

megalops///

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Fl
www.floridasportsman.com
Ade;3944097; said:
All those new to tigers, ESP Indos,.. GET use to it. Indos r 50/50 when it
comes to stability. Doesn't matter what they look like In The sellors tank, there's no guarantee they'll look that way in your tank. ST r generally a lot more stable.
Re-arranging tank may make them stable for a few days or week, but they'll go back to unstable soon after. Diet has made no difference in my experience. Stable with lights out is normal... But who wants to see a dark tank???? Lights on timer and they get use to it after a year or so

BEST thing is waiting and time.
Some r always unstable, even after 2-3 years (vice versa). Alot of people don't have the patience and sell dat cause they realise they don't want to wait for them to go stable.......
if utype stable in search function, you'll find it's a highly discussed topic.

Megalops: stable with age/size: bull#%€t....(not aimed at u)
As I said it's 50/50. There is no consistant circumstance which define when and how an indo is stable.
Hey man thanks for the straight answer. I don't mind if mine are stable or not to tell you the truth. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm doing my best to care for them. Being stable is just an added bonus.

What I'm trying to say is, some fish like discus for example turn dark when their stressed and what not. So that made me think that maybe something I'm doing is not right.

I'm open to any and all comment on this subject. I encourage everyone with experience to please add to the discussion. Any and all info will help.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
dragonfish18;3944195; said:
what kind of stuff are u useing...pumps, filters ect...i have 100% satisfaction with mine

heres a link i was really of mine in middle of a water change so i have an exception of a few unstables
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311568
the big indo was unstable for months till i switched something up today its bright gold

I dont understand:confused: " heres a link i was really of mine in middle of a water change ", do you mean u took pictures during water change? if so, then its common for Tigers to go stable during waterchanges. Often going back to unstable a few hours after wc.

As u say, "unstablew for months until u switched something up"..... what did you switch?

Megalops, the growth rates you have posted, sound like your looking after them fine..;)
To answer your Q. a stressed tigerfish DOES NOT necessarily mean its going to be unstable. It doesnt work like it does with Discus. Raws posted that 1 of his 3 indos, is the dominant one, but is he stable....No.

megalops///

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Fl
www.floridasportsman.com
dragonfish18;3944195; said:
what kind of stuff are u useing...pumps, filters ect...i have 100% satisfaction with mine

heres a link i was really of mine in middle of a water change so i have an exception of a few unstables
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311568
the big indo was unstable for months till i switched something up today its bright gold
My AT(4'' and 100% stable) is in a 125 that has been running for just over a year now. Half of this tank is mangrove drift wood. He hangs out in and around the wood 24/7 with the common pleco. He swims around checking stuff out once in a while and sometimes chases the Indo tarpon(5) from his area. He's been stable ever since I got him, even in transportation. I use a Rena XP4 and 300w(set at 81F) in-line heater with bio-balls and no chemical filtration, just the filter pads. I had an AC110 on there too, but i use that on the 55g I set up for my 13 IT grow outs. I do a 40% water change 1 time a week with this tank. The water stays absolutely crystal clear other than a little bit of tannin from the mangrove wood. I've have not had many problems with this tank other than treating for gill flukes and ich one time.

My IT grow out tank is 55g with the AC110 on it that was pre-seeded from the 125g. I have black and white cichlid sand for sub-straight. I use a large, hollow, plastic ship with a log leaned onto it for cover and hiding places. Both of these decorations were in the 125g too. There is also a large fake jungle plant I attached to the ship. To keep the water moving I use a maxi-jet 600 power head. I think its rated at 150 GPH. Thats about it. I've been watching my water parameters and the have stayed consistently at normal levels in all aspects. I've been doing small water changes every other day, maybe 15-20%. This tank also has a 200w heater set at 84F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store