Gars in Planted Tanks?

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
what we do is tie fern to our bog wood it looks nice and the gars cant knock it over

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i started a thread on this somewhere.....blast can't find it. anyways, in theory there's no reason why this won't work, but as always with large predators, the space can always be better utilizd, especially if the fish is large. if it's somthing you want to try i'd say go for it, but all in all it's really a better idea to try this when the fish is smaller and hence the plants can help with some added sense of security. i'd also go with hardy plants that don't require co2, fertilizer etc. (even if the gars can breathe atmostpheric air.)

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
^-- that's a dope pic of them yawning

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i currently keep plants with my "smaller" gars (in quotes because these fish are still around 14-16"). definitely go with hardier plants so there is less maintenance and less annoyance if/when gars tear them up.

i use floating water sprite which works well to give security at the surface, plus it's already uprooted so that's not an issue. on the bottom i use java moss and also crypts, which are low-light and low growing...and less likely to be uprooted. java fern also works well when attached to bogwood--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store